Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Newsela’s content could not exist without the work of over one hundred contributors who adapt articles and create instructional activities according to our demanding guidelines. As we increase the volume of and types of content we publish, we’ll need a steadily increasing pool of contributors who are ready, willing and able to take on assignments. Recruiting, developing and retaining these contributors will be the main job of Newsela’s Contributor Coordinator and will be crucial to the growth of Newsela as a company.
- Work with Content Operations Manager to develop and execute recruitment plans to find the very best editorial and educational contributors.
- Work with colleagues on Content team to forecast contributor needs and align on ideal candidate profiles.
- Work with Content Operations team to develop onboarding systems to get contributors up and running as fast and smoothly as possible.
- Compose regular communications (email, video, social) for the contributor community to give them all the operational updates they need and keep them engaged with Newsela. Develop a unique, consistent voice that is human, helpful and smart.
- Work with the Content Operations Associate to plan professional development events and programs to keep the contributor pool ever improving in their skill level.
- Work with the Operations and Finance team to oversee smooth and accurate payments to contributors.
- Work with Content Operations team and the Product Development team to ensure the ongoing improvement of our contributor platform.
- Research and adapt the best strategies from other companies (outside education) that have built large contributor communities.
- Work with the Content Operations Associate to build the Newsela contributor network brand.
- Work with the Content Operations Associate to cover all daily content operations and production needs.
- Daily responsibilities include:
- Recruit and onboard of new freelance contributors
- Freelance invoice review and approval
- Troubleshoot freelance assignment issues
- Oversee deadlines and assignments
- Help staff schedule special assignments
- Oversee freelancer workload, availability, and quality
- Help staff create, manage, and administer trainings for contributors
The Ideal Candidate
- Bachelor’s degree
- Demonstrated project management skills, either in a professional or academic environment
- A degree in a communications-related field
- Confident oral presenter
- Strong written communication skills
- Passionate about education, literacy and current events
- Organized and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong relationship builder and natural people person
- Comfortable with technology and able to learn various software tools
Newsela is strongly committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all individuals. Newsela will make all employment decisions without unlawful discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top