Newsela is an Instructional Content Platform that brings together engaging, accessible content with integrated assessments and insights to supercharge reading engagement and learning in every subject. We are dedicated to our mission to unlock the written word for everyone. More than three years since our launch, Newsela is already in 75% of schools, across all 50 U.S. states, in addition to being in over 180 countries. The result has been more engaged readers—and engaged readers are better learners.
Newsela is looking for a sharp, thoughtful and organized associate editor to help us in our ambitious goal to unlock the written word for everyone. We have a friendly, fun office in the heart of the Silicon Valley but we are as focused on meeting deadlines as any other news organization.
As an Associate Editor, you’ll be deciding the news of the day for these students and teachers and helping them improve their reading ability with engaging, informative, real-world content. Newsela strives to take the best articles on the topics of the day and make them more easily understood. Our readership consists of millions of students and teachers across all 50 states and more than 150 countries.
- Select stories from our wires to be published on Newsela.
- Edit copy produced by freelancers according to Newsela’s leveling guidelines.
- Improve feedback and documents used for training freelancers.
- Manage the flow of copy within our proprietary content management system.
- Collaborate with our contributor coordinator and editors to improve content quality.
- Publish and manage the quality of our news content
- Carefully monitor our content using our analytics tools
The Ideal Candidate:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Journalism, English or Communications.
- 4+ years of paid, published journalism experience at a newspaper or magazine.
- Demonstrated knowledge of AP style.
- Experience working for a deadline-driven news publication.
- Experience with online content management system.
- Has a tremendous amount of empathy for students, particularly middle school-aged students and above.
- Is a team player with great communication and organization skills.
- Is adaptable and excited to join an ever-changing startup environment.
- Has worked with kids in the past -- either through volunteering, tutoring, Teach For America, teaching, etc.
- Loves words, loves the news and has a passion for education.
Meet Some of Newsela's Employees
Content Operations Manager
Rachel is responsible for assessing article production needs in order to meet monthly and quarterly targets. She ensures time and financial efficiency through contributor and technology management.
Back to top