The National Aquarium is seeking an enthusiastic self-starter to fill the role of HR Coordinator, providing administrative support to various Human Resources functions including recruiting, record keeping, benefit administration and internal customer service. The HR Coordinator acts as the point of contact for internal customers in need of HR support. Additionally, the HR Coordinator provides administrative support for HR partners in the delivery of key services such as compensation, on-boarding, compliance and employee engagement.
- Assists department in carrying out various Human Resources programs and procedures for all employees.
- Maintains all HR record keeping and files according to compliance requirements.
- Manages I9 files and conducts regular audits
- Manages HR file room, ensuring active & terminated employee files are compliant
- Manages employee relations file, ensuring all materials are complete
- Benefits Administration Support
- Manages data feeds to all benefits vendors, including health, prescription, dental, vision, disability, life, and flexible spending
- Manages invoice processing for all benefits vendors
- Manages first-level service requests for participants
- Recruitment & On Boarding Support
- Manages and tracks job postings
- Supports applicant screening efforts, as requested, for exempt and non-exempt positions
- Supports hiring managers in their recruitment efforts, as requested, including conducting phone screens, scheduling on-site interviews, compiling needed materials, etc.
- Manages the pre-employment on-boarding process, including extending conditional and final offer letters, coordinating background checks and drug testing, and ensuring compliance with all pre-employment policies and processes
- Supports the on-boarding process by maintaining new employee orientation schedules and rosters, and compiling materials as needed
- Process all pay and manage all transactions on a biweekly basis which includes:
- Review and verify incoming and outgoing payroll documentation for completeness, accuracy and compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Analyze, prepare and process payroll data to produce an accurate and timely payroll and ensure compliance with all applicable state and federal wage and hour laws.
- Troubleshoot payroll related issues and problems; determine how to accurately correct the situation and decide, with autonomy, how the issue will be resolved.
- Manage all tax filings related to payroll
- Assists in coordination of HR-sponsored or facilitated meetings and training and development efforts aligned with employee engagement.
- Attends staff meetings and other meetings as necessary.
- Adhere to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned or required
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent work experience; college courses in business and/or Human Resources preferred
- 1-2 years of experience in an office environment, preferably in a support role in administration or Human Resources
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Capability to effectively communicate with all levels of staff and external audiences
- Ability to deal with a range of styles and behaviors in a tactful, pleasant, and personal manner
- Professional demeanor and conduct in all interactions, both internally and externally
- Ability to multi-task, work under pressure, and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Ability to manage projects with minimal supervision
- Strong administrative skills and basic software competencies in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Ability of exercise sound judgment, flexibility, initiative, and commitment in an environment of rapid change under the direction of the Director of HR Operations
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore's Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city's Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world's aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation's two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 36-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
Meet Some of National Aquarium's Employees
Morgan’s job focuses on animal husbandry. He takes care of the Aquarium’s animals and carries out all the work that goes into keeping them healthy and happy.
Back to top