Guest Services Specialist
- Baltimore, MD
The National Aquarium is looking for an engaging, service-oriented individual who will be responsible for anticipating guest needs, exceeding expectations and implementing creative solutions to provide exceptional service.
- Provide exceptional guest service that transforms a day at the Aquarium from ordinary to extraordinary:
- Support guest service needs by working posts in any / all of the following areas: Waterfront Park, Membership/Will Call/4D Cashier, 4D Theater, Concierge and other posts as assigned.
- Greet all guests in line of sight with a smile, a verbal greeting, and approachable friendliness
- Act as a host to each guest by demonstrating behavior that supports a positive, cheerful and professional attitude
- Provide first-level service recovery as needed through active listening and offering solutions that successfully balance guest & Aquarium needs. Understand when to solve the problem and when to engage a Guest Service Manager.
- Assist guests in a friendly and positive manner regarding Aquarium offerings, prices, membership, directions, and general information
- Project a professional image while in uniform and when using the phone or radio
- Create opportunities to share marketing messages that support both the Aquarium’s mission – to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures – and its business goals
- Become familiar with the Aquarium’s story – history, accomplishments and future goals
- Go beyond what is expected – deliver Personal Facilitated Experiences (PFEs) that inspire, delight, and engage
- High school diploma, plus a minimum of 1 year of customer service experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Must be able to demonstrate excellent cash handling skills, to included counting money, calculating change, and accurately recording a transaction
- Outstanding customer service skills, with demonstrable ability to act quickly to address a service need
- Previous experience with public speaking or performance is desirable
- Must be enthusiastic, motivated and enjoy working with people
- Strong communication skills and ability to engage Aquarium guests of all ages
- Strong basic computer skills, to include using email, navigating the internet, and working in MS Office applications
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including weekends, holidays and occasional evenings
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Commitment to the Aquarium’s mission and conservation
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 38-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing HR@aqua.org.
Back to top