Graphic Designer, Brand
With a proven track record and a passion for design in all of its forms, the Graphic Designer, Brand supports marketing initiatives by developing thoughtful and imaginative creative solutions that adhere to brand guidelines while challenging our visual aesthetic in ways that are as bold and innovative as our mission. Working directly with internal clients and external vendors in the development of publications, brochures, newsletters, ads and other printed and digital promotional materials, the Graphic Designer, Brand is a self-starter with an energy for collaboration and active iteration. This multi-faceted creative team member will have an ability to multi-task while utilizing various resources to execute design tasks within a deadline-driven environment. Reporting to the Design Director, the Graphic Designer, Brand is a member of the National Aquarium staff.
- Concept, design and layout various materials for the National Aquarium including but not limited to ads, brochures, flyers, signage and banners,newsletters, letterhead, even invitations, publications and graphic identities.
- Develop and apply a rich understanding of the Aquarium's mission and Brand Style Guide to thoughtful creative solutions designed to enrich and inspire.
- Work closely with the Design Director in the development of print and interactive projects that communicate impact through visual storytelling and data visualization.
- Communicate creative concepts to stake holders and executive leadership, articulating creation rationale clearly and effectively in an eloquent and professional manner.
- Actively participate in creative brainstorming across all creative disciplines. Spark curiosity and drive motivation of team members through constructive feedback, innovative inspiration, and healthy creative exploration.
- Make edits to documents, assist in the preparation of comps, mood boards and client presentations.
- Bid, purchase, and outsource printing, paper, photography, and related collateral materials that are high quality, cost-effective and eco-friendly.
- Schedule and traffic proofs to internal clients for approval, ensuring all appropriate personas have reviewed each project before moving into production.
- Manage invoicing from vendors to ensure prompt payment.
- Coordinate delivery, mailing and distribution. Maintain warehouse stock of print/publication supply and re-order as necessary.
- Adhere to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures.
- Other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor of Arts Degree in graphic design or relevant experience
- 5+ years professional experience in graphic design, print and digital
- Full knowledge of commercial printing methods, postal mailing standards, and paper specifications.
- Strong command of Adobe Creative suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) with demonstrated experience in illustration and publication layout.
- Knowledge of HTML, mobile and digital publications a plus.
- Strong knowledge of and passion for nature and marine life preferred.
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 36-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing HR@aqua.org.
Meet Some of National Aquarium's Employees
Morgan’s job focuses on animal husbandry. He takes care of the Aquarium’s animals and carries out all the work that goes into keeping them healthy and happy.
Back to top