Facilities Technician - Plumber
- Baltimore, MD
The National Aquarium is seeking a passionate Facilities Technician-Plumber to join our team. This role will help keep all buildings, equipment, and grounds well-maintained, clean, and working in a first-class manner. They will also support the Life Support (LS) Department by performing daily inspections of all LS water transfer equipment. Additionally, this role assess, repairs, replaces, rebuilds and maintains all equipment as necessary. Advanced plumbing experience preferred.
- Full knowledge and experience of journeyed trade including electrical, plumbing, mechanical, carpentry, and/or pump system trades
- Complete work-orders in a proactive and customer-oriented manner
- Responsible for work in all Aquarium buildings and grounds in all Maryland locations
- Good working knowledge non-journeyed trades including areas such as Ozone, life support systems, pumps, motors, sand filters, etc.
- Learn and master critical skills in other journeyed trades to ensure complete cross-training within Facilities team to ensure work orders can be completed by any Facilities team member when required
- Maintain all facilities systems to operate consistently and reliably
- Maintain Life Support & general building pumping systems
- Troubleshoot and solve problems
- Working knowledge of basic computer programs such as Windows Office
- Ability to be flexible and work on unrelated problems and projects within one day
- Communicate regularly with staff in other departments, in particular the status of work orders, changes, complications, completions and resolutions
- Interact with the Life Support Team on a daily basis to insure equipment reliability
- Coordination of work between facilities and other departments, such as Life Support, to minimize disruptions to the daily business and visitors
- Oversee all major pump repairs made by outside vendors
- Ability to complete work and projects in a timely fashion and within the set schedule
- Ability to work weekends and holidays as scheduled
- Adheres to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned or required; may work within
- High School Education, or equivalent
- Must be able to work with minimal supervision
- Must have a minimum of 6 years in the specified trade of which at least 1 year was at the Journeyman level. Completion of a recognized apprenticeship program and Journeyman certificate preferred. The specified trades of interest include but are not limited to Electrical, Plumbing, Pumps, Mechanical, and Carpentry
- Safety and CPR Training
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 38-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing HR@aqua.org.
Back to top