Exhibit Design Project Manager
The Planning & Design team is looking for an experienced Exhibit Design Project Manager – a creative collaborator with a skillset rooted in exhibit design and fabrication. This individual will report to the VP of Planning & Design and will be responsible for managing a wide range of exhibit and interior architecture projects. The ideal candidate will have a strong design background and be capable of managing workflow from concept through production for all facets of exhibit and interiors projects including: all exhibit components, graphics, furniture and finishes, multimedia, and live aquatic displays. A natural leader and strong communicator, the role will proactively develop and maintain relationships with design team members, internal stakeholders, cross-functional partners and external agencies.
- Collaborate closely with VP Planning & Design, as well as Directors of Exhibit Planning & Design and Fabrication & Operations to translate project vison and goals into successful project execution.
- Shepherd projects and teams through all phases of project execution from Concept through Construction with a focus on managing relationships to maximize design quality and resources, taking either a leadership or management role, depending on project.
- Focus on team building and team process both within design team comprised of 3-D and 2-D designers, developer, multimedia, and exhibit fabricators, and with cross-functional teams including Animal Curators, Facilities, Marketing, Development, Conservation, and Guest Engagement.
- Simultaneously manage multiple design, construction, and operational projects of varying scales typically from $10,000 to $500,000, with larger projects up to $5M. Manage the workflow of exhibit projects. Provide excellent service and innovative creative solutions that are timely, effective and aligned with specified budgets and timelines.
- Manage external project teams of designers, consultants, vendors and contractors
- Effectively lead projects in construction by managing budget, schedule, and quality. Act as General Contractor for the project by contracting directly with vendors and subcontractors or as Owner’s Rep with an external General Contractor.
- Develop and maintain relationships with exhibit are architectural vendors to maximize innovative, quality, timely and economic design solutions.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent experience in Exhibit Design, Architecture, Interior Design or related field
- Minimum of 8 years progressive work experience managing projects ranging from $10,000 to $500,000, preferably in an institutional setting of zoo, aquarium, or museum
- Facility with AutoCad, Vectorworks, Sketch-up or similar drafting and modeling software as well as Microsoft Office Suite
- Strong visual, written and oral communication skills
- Highly organized
- Cover letter submission required
- Project portfolio submission preferred
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 35-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing [email protected]
Back to top