Director, Media Relations
The National Aquarium’s Brand Communications team is seeking a Director of Media Relations to craft, execute and oversee its strategic public relations goals. The Director of Media Relations plays a critical, high-level role in the hands-on shaping of the Aquarium’s regional, national and international reputation as both a world-class attraction and industry-leading conservation organization.
Strong candidates should possess a minimum of seven (7) years of progressively independent, strategy-driven media relations experience and an expert working knowledge of modern communications channels, to include social media, as well as strong leadership and staff-management skills. Interested individuals should possess an appropriate level of media training and be comfortable on-camera in order to serve as Aquarium’s official spokesperson and train other senior staff.
- Leads media relations outreach and implements tactics; provides reporting, writing, and strategic media planning
- Regularly gathers and maintains current information from various Aquarium divisions and departments for use as content in communications and marketing materials
- Develops, implements, manages, and affects a sustained, targeted media/public relations campaign for the Aquarium, working with all stakeholders as necessary.
- Collaborates with the social media team in creating and sustaining an online presence for the National Aquarium in keeping with its mission, messaging and priorities in order to grow and evolve the Aquarium’s reputation
- Serves as key Aquarium spokesperson for print and broadcast media as needed
- Facilitates media events, press conferences/briefings, media tours, etc.
- Directs all site visits and tours involving photography and filming in the building
If you have a mind for strategic media relations and PR as well as a passion for the National Aquarium’s mission, please apply!
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 35-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing [email protected]
Meet Some of National Aquarium's Employees
Corey arranges the use of the Aquarium as a special events venue. He also attends networking events to promote the Aquarium as a unique venue space.
Back to top