- Baltimore, MD
This National Aquarium is seeking full-time Custodians who are responsible for maintaining an exceptionally clean venue for all visitors and saff, always following Aquarium policies and procedures while keeping in mind the Aquarium values of Integrity, Innovation, Service, Excellence, and Engagement.
- Perform various cleaning tasks on a scheduled basis and as needed. Areas of accountability include, but are not limited to bathrooms, carpets & floors, trash, compost & recycling receptacles, mirrors & windows, counters & shelves, escalators & movealators, elevators, employee office & break rooms and restrooms, Waterfront Park, loading dock, stairwells, specific areas of exhibits, such as the outside of tanks & viewing windows, ceilings, special event rooms, and other assigned areas.
- Support efforts to clean and maintain safety standards during weather emergencies, including snow removal, ice melting, etc.
- Ensure that the quality of cleanliness in assigned work area meets or exceeds standards.
- Ensure that all equipment is safe and in good operating condition after use, cleaned and stored in its proper place. Report unsafe equipment.
- Provide exceptional guest service that transforms a day at the Aquarium from ordinary to extraordinary:
- Greet all guests in line of sight with a smile, a verbal greeting, and assertive friendliness
- Host each guest by demonstrating behavior that supports a positive, cheerful and professional attitude
- Ensure knowledge is current by using resources available: AquaNet, Chatter, morning Huddle, Plan of the Day, email announcements, etc.
- Ensure skills are kept fresh by attending all training classes and offerings as requested
- Project a professional image while in uniform and when using the phone or radio
- Become familiar with the Aquarium’s story – history, accomplishments and future goals
- Go beyond what is expected – deliver Personal Facilitated Experiences (PFEs) that inspire, delight, and engage
- Adhere to all organizational and departmental policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned or required
- 6 months of experience cleaning, including using standard cleaning equipment such as floor buffers and waxers, preferred
- Must be enthusiastic, motivated and enjoy working with people
- Strong communication skills and ability to engage Aquarium guests of all ages
- Strong basic computer skills, to include using email and navigating the internet
- Ability and willingness to work a flexible schedule including evenings/overnights, weekends, and holidays
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Ability to work with a team and independently
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions
- Commitment to the Aquarium’s mission and conservation
The National Aquarium is committed to diversity and invites individuals who bring a diversity of culture, experience and ideas to apply.
ABOUT THE NATIONAL AQUARIUM
Recently named one of Baltimore’s Best Places to Work, the National Aquarium opened in 1981 as a nonprofit aquatic education and conservation organization, the jewel of the city’s Inner Harbor redevelopment. SmartCEO Magazine honored the National Aquarium with the Healthiest Workplace award and the Corporate Culture award in 2016. With a mission to inspire conservation of the world’s aquatic treasures, the Aquarium is consistently ranked one of the nation’s two top aquariums and has hosted over 51 million guests since opening.
Today, the National Aquarium builds on a 38-year history of local, regional and global conservation initiatives that provide real solutions for protecting marine life, ecosystems and aquatic communities. Its Animal Rescue team has rescued, rehabilitated and released hundreds of marine mammals and endangered sea turtles throughout the Mid-Atlantic region. Its Animal Welfare and Science teams participate in important research efforts to confront pressing ocean conservation issues and advocate for smarter policies at local, state and federal levels. Through education, research, conservation action and advocacy, the National Aquarium is pursuing a vision to change the way humanity cares for our ocean planet.
HOW TO APPLY Interested and engaged applicants should apply through our website http://aqua.org/jobs. Requests for reasonable accommodation can be made by e-mailing HR@aqua.org.
Back to top