POSITION LOCATION: San Carlos, CA or Austin, TX
Senior Software Engineer in Reliability Engineering combines software and systems engineering skills to build, run, and improve complex, distributed fault-tolerant software systems. Additionally, Reliability Engineers keep an eye on systems performance and capacity. You will have an interesting opportunity to manage the complex challenges of high-volume sample processing in a rigid laboratory environment where the cost of failure is high, with a huge impact on business. You will be responsible for the big picture of how systems relate to each other. Much of software development focuses on optimizing existing systems, building and improving infrastructure, eliminating inefficiencies. The best candidates will have both demonstrated software development skills and strong systems experience.
- Lead, architect, author and deliver software projects to improve the availability, scalability, and reliability of Natera's software solutions.
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through high-quality project delivery and clear communication.
- Advocate for reliability engineering principles and practices in product engineering and help guide engineering vision.
- Be the champion for new initiatives.
- Help drive standardization efforts across multiple disciplines including but not limited to software development processes, code quality standards, tools.
- Work closely with product engineering and infrastructure teams.
- Mentor and coach junior engineers toward technical mastery.
- Support and monitor new and existing services, platforms, and application stacks.
- Perform analysis, troubleshooting, and introspection on core applications.
- Participate in periodic on-call duties.
- BS degree in computer science, comparable program, or equivalent.
- 8+ years of overall software development experience.
- Extensive experience with high-level languages, like Java, Python.
- Experience building and running complex and highly reliable distributed systems.
- Proclivity towards efficient programming emphasizing improvement via complexity analysis. Strong relational database knowledge, including both query and server optimization.
- Strong knowledge of distributed systems and non-abstract large system design including but not limited to the CAP Theorem, Microservices, and the Twelve Factor App.
- Demonstrated teamwork skills.
- Experience running Kafka infrastructure in production is a plus.
- Experience with monitoring tools, Datadog is a plus.
- Experience with error tracking tools, OverOps is a plus.
- Understanding networking is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Java, Python
- Relational Databases, preferably MySQL
- Kafka/Kafka Streams
Duties typically performed in an office setting.
This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings & weekends) at times.
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Healthy catered lunches, Premium snacks and beverages, Onsite gym with cardio and weight-training equipment, Game room with satellite TV, Onsite dry cleaning and alteration service with pick-up and delivery, Employee-organized sport leagues, Happy hours and BBQs, Generous Employee Referral program.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community, and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.