Director, Software Engineering
- San Carlos, CA
Natera has built highly complex software to support running of genetic tests from placing an order, tracking samples through the lab, performing genomic data analysis, producing patient-centric reports, and billing for our services. The Engineering team is responsible for developing and maintaining business-critical applications that empower the business to efficiently manage business processes, bring new tests to life, and enable new ways of providing value to patients. We are a fast-paced, rapidly growing company that needs leaders who are able to balance laying the foundation for the future and meeting the current needs of the market.
As a Director of Engineering, Assay Management, you will be responsible for the development team working on LabVantage LIMS system that's at the heart of all lab processes. You will also be building a new development team responsible for the orchestration of lab processes and analysis pipelines with the focus on modularity, configurability, scalability and clear visualization of data.
This position requires a creative and entrepreneurial approach to marry corporate strategy and initiatives with the appropriate technology processes, as well as exceptional staff and organization management.
- Collaborate with key business stakeholders to ensure successful delivery of solutions that support the strategic organizational needs of Natera in lab software and pipeline orchestration space
- Take ownership of LabVantage LIMS system that powers all lab workflows and integrates with robotics for Natera genetic tests
- Build new platform for the orchestration of lab processes and data analysis pipelines for the current and future genetic tests
- Build, manage and grow high-performing distributed teams
- Provide technical guidance to teams to ensure scalability, performance, resiliency, availability, and maintainability of the software
- Build and nurture a results-oriented culture of quality, ownership, collaboration, continuous improvement, and data-driven decision making
- Drive continuous process improvement and innovation within the regulatory constraints of the healthcare industry
- Have a "can do" attitude and entrepreneurial resourcefulness in getting things done for multi-constituent stakeholders in a fast-paced environment of continuous change and improvement.
- MS in Computer Science, similar discipline, or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years of experience in a leadership role in an engineering organization, experience managing teams of 20+ software engineers.
- 15+ years of experience in software development.
- Proven track record building scalable enterprise software solutions in one of the following languages: Java, Python
- Expertise in leading development of highly available, operationally mature platforms / products
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Ability to set and drive the big picture strategy.
- Experience co-creating a strategic vision / road maps and delivering solution
- A passion for technology and technical depth to identify root causes of complex technical problems and provide guidance on solving them
- Practical experience with setting up continuous integration and continuous delivery development processes.
- Practical experience with scaling engineering organizations.
- Ability to lead large projects and deliver on time and within budget.
- Experience with working on regulated products, CLIA, FDA or CDx is a plus
- Experience working with third-party partners and managing constraints and challenges.
- Experience in LIMS, ELN, or LIS is a plus
- Experience in the biotech/healthcare/clinical diagnostics space is a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Duties are typically performed in an office setting.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Healthy catered lunches, Premium snacks and beverages, Onsite gym with cardio and weight-training equipment, Game room with satellite TV, Onsite dry cleaning and alteration service with pick-up and delivery, Employee-organized sport leagues, Happy hours and BBQs, Generous Employee Referral program.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top