Associate Director, Pre-Analytics (Accessioning)
- San Carlos, CA
Provides guidance to clinical laboratory and exercises oversight of the Accessioning function. Works closely with senior management and directs team to ensure departmental and company goals are routinely met.
- Supervise the daily activity of accessioning managers, supervisors and staff to ensure all samples are accessioned same-day with extremely high accuracy according to SOPs and other requirements
- Optimize cross-site scheduling according to the operational needs of the laboratory.
- Build and manage metrics to provide feedback and accountability to staff. Define KPIs and standardize departmental methodologies
- Maintain documentation for QA, compliance, management, regulatory bodies and clients as well as laboratory operations
- Act as a cross-functional resource for inter-disciplinary teams to streamline operations and efficiency while growing business and exceeding client expectations
- Develop and oversee training and team building of new and existing staff on a continuous basis
- Create and manage departmental incentive programs
- Support the recruitment, hiring and development of effective teams with succession planning
- Administer departmental budgets
- Liaise with all departments in the laboratory and management to ensure accuracy and swift corrective actions as needed based on client, test, market dynamics and specimen requirements
- Oversee daily accessioning operations including, but not limited to:
- Specimen receipt and triage
- Order entry and documentation retention
- Quality check of all information input into the LIS/LIMS system
- Referral testing and specimen send-outs
- Competency, safety and retraining of staff
- Delivery of daily, weekly, monthly & quarterly operational metrics
- Departmental inventory and supply orders
- Provide thought leadership and recommendations for improving workflows, team structures and system configurations
- Responsible for managing mission critical, complex projects to deliver results within the authorized budgets and approved timelines
- Identify and transparently communicate issues and solutions both within the accessioning department and to leadership
- Forecast trends to meet changing requirements
- Ensure team meets all regulatory requirements set forth by CLIA, CAP, NYSDOH, etc.
- Bachelor's Degree required, BS in Biology or other healthcare field preferred, Master's Degree a plus.
- At least five years' experience working in a laboratory or supporting lab operations required
- At least three years of people management required, preferably managing a team of 10 or more in an operational function (Accessioning function strongly preferred)
- Experience in clinical genetic testing strongly preferred
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Superior computer skills required, comfortable with new software tools and integration, advanced in Microsoft Office (Excel)
- Data driven
- Proven knowledge of lean management
- Expert people manager, able to motivate a large team of 20 plus people on various levels. Demonstrated experience building and managing a high performing group of engaged and motivated employees
- Experience in root cause analysis, talented strategic manager
- Exceptional in investigating, analyzing, recommending, implementing and monitoring workflow changes as needed.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to effectively work with all stakeholders, internal and external, including clients, sales, software engineers, management, lab directors and staff both within and outside of accessioning
- Proven leadership skills
- Possess working understanding of fundamentals of Molecular Biology.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Word processing and data management skills.
- Independent self-starter comfortable in working in teams at all levels
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Duties typically performed in an office setting and laboratory environment
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time
- Duties may require working weekends
- Travel: Less than 10 percent
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Healthy catered lunches, Premium snacks and beverages, Onsite gym with cardio and weight-training equipment, Game room with satellite TV, Onsite dry cleaning and alteration service with pick-up and delivery, Employee-organized sport leagues, Happy hours and BBQs, Generous Employee Referral program.
For more information, visit www.natera.com .
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top