Senior Underwriter - Professional Lines
The ideal candidate for this position is one that has experience underwriting professional insurance lines - Professional Liability and/or Cyber Liability are preferable, but candidate’s experience in Management Liability, Employment Practices, or Medical Malpractice will be seriously considered. Experience transacting surplus lines business with various insurance brokers in a fast paced production environment is also ideal. This position has clear and distinct accountability for business results, and will be responsible for marketing Company products and services and developing and maintaining significant agency or broker relationships. This position will also have management responsibilities, and will be involved in developing entry level underwriting employees into proficient underwriters.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work independently to process new and renewal business submissions
- Analyze risk to determine terms and conditions of coverage
- Develop underwriting arguments to explain underwriting decisions
- Interpret and analyze claims files
- Works efficiently with the underwriting team to meet turnaround goals
- Communicates with brokers and develops strong working relationships
- Marketing- visit clients and explain underwriting products and appetite
- Demonstrate excellent knowledge of product
- Follow all procedures and guidelines to provide insurance terms to clients
- Assists the support staff in resolving problems and questions
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Ability to read and interpret an insurance contract
- Ability to write reports and risk analysis
- Effectively present information and answer questions from groups of managers, clients and customers
- Calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions and percentages
- Solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
- Interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form
- Read and understand financial statements, construction contracts, applications, computer printouts, rating manuals and other insurance related materials
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting, finance, economics or a related field
- 1-5 years of professional insurance experience
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
When possible, reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is exposed to weather conditions prevalent at the time. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Hear from Ari:
A Senior Underwriter at Nas Insurance
Meet Some of NAS Insurance's Employees
Chief Underwriting Officer
Michael’s main goals at NAS Insurance include developing the people he oversees, and continuing the company’s strong growth into the future through technological advancement.
Back to top