Director of Engineering
NAS Insurance Services is a national leader in cyber security insurance and innovator in specialty commercial insurance services. For over 40 years, NAS has been a partner with Lloyd’s of London and a recognized leader and pioneer in the US Specialty Insurance market. NAS has embarked on an ambitious effort to create a state-of-the-art insurance platform and is looking to hire an innovative fintech leader and experienced Director of Engineering.
This position is a key role in the organization. This individual will lead the Software Engineering Team in the development of the next generation NAS 2020 system that is the core online portal and related operational systems. This system will be a cornerstone of innovation for the company as it moves more of its activities online and provides substantial operational improvements from greater automation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work closely with Product Managers and Engineers to understand business requirements, product functionality and product roadmap.
• Lead the definition of systems architecture and technical development strategy.
• Participate in regular SCRUM activities including assisting in development of user stories, estimates, sprint planning and sprint reviews.
• Act as a lead engineer to resolve blockers and major issues and assigned development tasks as well as leading the team of developers and QA engineers.
• Maintain high standards of software quality within the team by establishing good practices and participating in code reviews.
• Package and support deployment of releases and help with transition to more automated deployment processes.
• Spend approximately 10% of your time designing, coding, creating unit tests and otherwise contributing as an individual contributor.
• Mentor, coach and develop team members to ensure continuous improvement.
• Participate in recruiting new engineers.
• Help organize and participate in team building activities.
• Update job knowledge by keeping aware of new development tools, programming techniques, and methodologies; participating in educational opportunities; and maintaining personal networks.
Skills & Qualifications:
• Proven engineering team leadership encompassing major new system development.
• Demonstrated ability to interview, on-board engineering talent.
• Experience supervising and managing others including staff development, feedback, coaching and performance reviews.
• Strong experience with PHP frameworks like Zend, Laravel, or Symfony, and applied knowledge of multiple design patterns
• Proficient with designing and implementing SOAP and REST style web services
• Experienced with MySQL, PostgreSQL or another database system, query authoring, optimization of query plans and indexing
• Has applied virtualization technologies such as AWS, Vagrant, VMware, VirtualBox, or Docker in development and production
• Demonstrated knowledge of Linux
• Thorough approach to workload and prioritizes efficiently
• Strong numerical and analytical skills
• Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
• Ability to communicate to all team members effectively and efficiently
• Team player mentality; solutions-oriented; continuously strives to deliver quality work
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree in a relevant subject such as computer science, computation, or software engineering. A degree in a related field such as physics, mathematics or information technology will also be considered.
• A minimum of seven years related work experience is required, including at least three years in a supervisory/leadership role.
Back to top