Senior Structural/Mechanical Engineer
The MWH, now part of Stantec, an organization is driving the wet infrastructure sector globally, and we are leading the world in results-oriented management, technical engineering, and construction services to create a better world. The wet infrastructure sector we serve encompasses a variety of water-related projects and programs ranging from dams and hydropower projects to water supply, treatment and storage, water resources management and coastal restoration, and full environmental services.
We are currently looking to add a Senior Structural/Mechanical Engineer to support our Chicago, IL office location.
This position requires: application of knowledge of structural engineering and mechanical engineering principles in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems and methods; capability of performing advanced finite element analyses (FEA) as applied to the design of steel and concrete structures; and capability to develop analytical results into functional designs and construction drawings. Supervision and guidance will relate largely to advanced structural engineering concepts, project controls, and policy matters. The applicant must be capable of functioning in a supervisory role and working independently as well as with project teams and clients.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Leading multi-disciplinary teams on structural and mechanical engineering projects.
- Developing 2D & 3D finite element models (FEM).
- Performing detailed structural analysis and design for water retaining structures (dams, locks, gates, hydro-mechanical equipment, etc.), hydropower stations, water and wastewater treatment plants, and other wet infrastructure projects.
- Performing or leading structural engineering tasks on projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
- Leading the development of designs, analyses and specifications primarily of structural steel systems but may also include reinforced concrete, aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
- Leading design teams, supervising and mentoring staff.
- Interfacing with clients, contractors and subcontractors.
- Assisting in project management and business development activities including proposal preparation, pricing, scheduling, correspondence, tracking project costs and schedule and completing progress reports.
- Working in a manner to ensure personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Reviewing construction shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to design changes during construction.
- Performing field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring, resident engineering and other fieldwork.
- Occasional domestic and international travel. Qualifications • B.S. in Civil or Mechanical Engineering and M.S. in Structural Engineering
- P.E. certification.
- 4 to 10 years of experience in the design and implementation of structural and/or mechanical systems.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English language.
- Proficiency with the use of design and finite element software such as Inventor, SAP 2000, ABAQUS, ANSYS.
- Ability to independently manage scope, schedule and budget for tasks and projects.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Desire to obtain Structural Engineering registration. Preferred Specifications • Experience in BIM and advanced design software.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent. Requisition Number 11191BR City Chicago State/Province Illinois Country United States Operations E&I East
Back to top