Senior International Water Sector Specialist
MWH, now part of Stantec, a global water and natural resources firm, is seeking a qualified and highly motivated candidate to serve as Senior International Water Sector Specialist to support its international development practice.
MWH/Stantec is a global engineering and consulting firm dedicated to improving the stewardship of the world’s water, energy, and other scarce resources and enhancing the design, construction and operation of critical infrastructure in both the built and natural environment. We bring together global expertise in infrastructure design, construction, finance, risk management, asset management, organizational development, information technology, stakeholder engagement, and environmental and social sustainability to implement practical solutions for public and private clients in the water, energy, transportation, industrial and government sectors throughout the world.
Scope of Services
MWH’s International Development Group is seeking a Senior International Water Sector Specialist to spearhead the growth of the company’s international water portfolio in developing and emerging market countries, with a particular focus on Africa and the Middle East. The successful candidate will have a keen understanding of global development priorities related to water security, improved sanitation, and climate change, as well as demonstrated experience working directly for or with water utilities and regulators in developing countries in support of internationally funded water sector strengthening and reform programs. The Senior International Water Sector Specialist will be responsible for enhancing service offerings, leading business development efforts in key markets, and expanding our client portfolio in both the public and private sector space. The position will be based in Washington D.C. and report to the Vice President and Director of Emerging Markets. Moderate to extensive international travel will be required.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Build and maintain collaborative relationships with current and prospective clients in the international water sector space, including donors, development banks, and other public or private organizations that fund, manage, or implement water-related infrastructure, resource management, and sector reform programs.
- Lead business development efforts that support the growth objectives and sales goals of the emerging markets practice by actively tracking and pursuing strategic business opportunities and overseeing the preparation and submittal of proposals.
- Recruit and maintain an active network of independent water sector consultants and strategic partners who can supplement in-house capabilities as needed to successfully pursue and execute international water sector projects.
- Manage projects and programs to address client service needs, including responsibility for overall project planning, deployment of team members and resources, coordination of technical execution, schedule and budget management, quality assurance, risk management, and client relationship management.
- Provide technical oversight and direction and relevant subject matter expertise to support successful project delivery.
- Support thought leadership and brand awareness by periodically attending and speaking at conferences, publishing papers, and promoting the company’s work on social media.
- Conduct periodic research of market, client, and competitor trends to inform and help update the emerging markets business strategy. Qualifications • BS degree in a relevant field of engineering, science, business, public policy, international affairs or related discipline. Advanced degree preferred.
- 8-10 years of experience working in the international water sector, with demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following areas:
o Water sector reform, enabling environment
o Institutional strengthening and capacity building
o Asset management, non-revenue water
o Irrigation and agricultural productivity
o Climate adaptation and resilience planning, sustainable infrastructure
o Integrated water resource management
o International project finance, public-private partnerships
- Prior experience working with government, civil society, and the private sector in support of water sector reform and/or water resource management initiatives in developing countries, with specific experience in Africa and the Middle East preferred.
- Prior experience working on projects funded by USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the World Bank or other international donors.
- Broad, personal industry network.
- Excellent communication, presentation, and writing skills.
- Team player with demonstrated experience working constructively on multi-disciplinary teams.
- Fluency in English; other language skills such as French would be highly advantageous.
- LI-LC1 Preferred Specifications Advanced degree preferred. Additional Information MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations. Requisition Number 11644BR City Washington State/Province District of Columbia Country United States Operations BSG US Federal Management Consulting
Back to top