Professional Structural / Mechanical Engineer
At MWH, we believe growing a great engineering, consulting and construction services company happens from the inside out. We look for people who are drawn to use every talent they possess, plus imagination, determination and a drive to do the extraordinary. We believe that building a great career is as important as Building a Better World.
If working on the best water and natural resources projects around the world, building on your talents through a premier knowledge-sharing culture, and connecting across borders with some of the world’s top talent appeals to you, join us.
MWH Global…we’re looking for opportunities.
MWH, now part of Stantec, is currently looking to add a Professional Structural Engineer to support our Chicago, IL office location.
This position requires application of knowledge of structural engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems and methods, and capability of learning and performing more advanced finite element analyses (FEA) as applied to the design of steel and concrete structures to include the evaluation and application of FEA results for design and development of construction drawings. Supervision and guidance will relate largely to technical development, fundamental and advanced structural engineering concepts, project controls, and policy matters. The applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
• Leading multi-disciplinary teams on structural engineering projects.
• Developing 2D & 3D finite element models (FEM).
• Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for water retaining structures (dams, locks, gates, etc.), hydropower stations, water and wastewater treatment plants, and other wet infrastructure projects.
• Assisting with structural engineering on projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
• Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete and structural steel systems primarily, but may also include aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
• Assisting in project management and administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and schedule and completing progress reports.
• Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
• Developing plans and specifications for construction.
• Reviewing construction shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to design changes during construction.
• Assisting technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring, resident engineering and other fieldwork.
• Receiving OSHA training for confined space entry to assist with tunnel (or similar) inspections.
• Occasional domestic and international travel.
• B.S. or M.S. Structural or Mechanical Engineering.
• P.E. or E.I.T. certification.
• 2 to 7 years of experience in the design and implementation of structural and/or mechanical systems.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills in English language.
• Proficiency with the use of design and finite element software such as SAP 2000, ABAQUS or ANSYS.
• Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
• Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
• Desire to obtain Structural Engineering registration.
Preferred Specifications • A good understanding of seismic analysis with knowledge on soil-structure interaction (SSI).
• Experience producing 3D models and structural engineering drawings using AutoCAD, REVIT or Inventor.
• Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent.
MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations.
Back to top