Estimator / Buyer - commercial tenant improvement
MWH Constructors is currently seeking an experienced Estimator/Buyer to support Commercial Tenant Construction Improvements for a high profile client. The ideal candidate will have proven Tenant Improvement (TI) experience. This position is located in either Hillsboro OR, Northern VA or Washington DC.
MWH provides construction management-at-risk, construction management-as-agent, design build and general contracting services for commercial building construction. Beginning with preconstruction services we provide individually tailored “start to finish” construction capabilities to municipal, federal and private clients throughout the United States and Canada.
MWH Constructors is growing its business in the commercial building construction sectors in North America and Canada. Its strategy for this growth will see an increase in resources and capabilities across the US.
Business and contracts associated with this initiative will include:
- Commercial Interior Building design, construction, and management.
- Review proposal specifications, drawing, attend pre-bid meetings, etc. to determine scope of work and required contents of estimate.
- Provide or supervise comprehensive quantity take-off estimates in a manner and level of detail consistent with the project goals.
- Coordinate provision of technical support to personnel preparing discipline estimates for assigned bids.
- Ensure all working documents and data are maintained to backup estimate figures.
- Investigate and incorporate project constraints into cost analysis.
- Perform a detailed review of all documentation to develop accurate cost estimates that fully incorporate and communicate client’s project goals.
- Review of subcontractor and vendor quotations and scope of work.
- Prepare detailed scope of work for all commercial trades.
- Actively research, solicit, and develop sources/vendors for compiling and maintaining accuracy of cost information.
- Assist the contracting department during preparation of inquiries and final evaluation of submitted bids as required.
- Track awarded contracts as required, including estimating/pricing extra work items, change orders, credit, procuring materials, etc.
- Review and incorporate historical data from purchase orders, subcontractors, productivity analysis reports, etc. into unit and man-hour figures.
- Work closely with MWHC Safety and Procurement departments to ensure proper resources included in estimates. Also work closely with MWH Engineering staff to collect applicable cost information.
- Work in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees but following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Be involved in project planning sessions and team meeting to provide estimating input.
- Perform additional assignments per supervisor’s direction.
- Serve as the construction buyer and coordinate the procurement of construction goods, materials, equipment and services.
- Administer purchase orders to accomplish project or group objectives and obligations.
- Prepare bidder lists, qualify bidders, prepare requests for quotation, and conduct bid evaluations.
- Recommend source selections, and working with Contracts and Risk teams, plan and participate in purchase order negotiations, and prepare and issue purchase orders. Obtain necessary reviews and approvals of bidder exceptions, bid evaluations, recommendations, purchase orders, and change orders prior to execution.
- Utilize established policies, procedures, systems, and tools to assure maximum contribution.
- Evaluate facts surrounding purchase order-related problem areas, determine the most appropriate remedial actions, and implement such actions through available means.
- Administer purchase orders, including change order processing, ensuring compliance with contractual terms and applicable regulations, invoice processing and verification, and performance evaluation; ensuring supplier compliance in a cost-effective, timely, and responsive manner.
- Identify and advise management of purchase order-related risks.
- Support the development of potential and qualified suppliers, including performance history.
- Work with project teams, and corporate Contracts and Procurement Managers to:
o a. Develop project specific subcontracting and procurement plans as needed,
o b. Identify project applicable subcontracting and procurement requirements,
o c. Conduct subcontractor and supplier solicitations and MWBE outreach as needed, including working to encourage and enhance the participation of the local subcontracting community,
o d. Develop request for qualification packages and bid packages
- Maintain purchase order and purchasing process documentation.
- Prepare proposal deliverables, including the pricing of materials, labor estimates, and narratives.
- Work closely with project teams and corporate Contracts, Procurement and Risk teams to ensure a successful construction contracting and procurement program.
- Assist Construction Contracts and Procurement Managers in providing other support services and reporting as requested Qualifications • Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, Construction Management, or similar field of study. Equivalent combination of experience, skills, and training may be substituted.
- Minimum of 5 years of related commercial construction estimating experience.
- 5 years of relevant subcontracts, procurement and/or construction contracting experience, with significant experience in the various forms of construction contracts administration and procurement procedures.
- Estimating experience should include all CSI trade divisions1 through 33.
- Ability to prepare complex proposals with minimum supervision.
- Strong computer skills required.
- Ability to communicate effectively through clear and concise means (verbal, written and graphics). Preferred Specifications • 7+ years of prior estimating experience with commercial and industrial building projects.
- Prior experience with Tenant Improvement (TI) projects.
- Experience with Timberline Estimating Software.
- Technology related manufacturing experience as it relates to facility design, construction, and management including cleanrooms and laboratories.
- General maintenance and on-call service experience for manufacturing facilities and office campuses. Additional Information MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations. Requisition Number 11333BR City Hillsboro State/Province Oregon Country United States Operations Constructors District 4
Back to top