MWH, now part of Stantec, is a global leader in EHS consulting. We provide strategic EHS consulting, water treatment, remedial services, and select infrastructure services to private sector industries in the Eastern US to improve their operational efficiencies and reduce their liabilities. MWH aims to create long-term relationships with our new and existing clientele that will provide annuity opportunities allowing for greater growth in the region.
We are currently looking to add a Professional-Level Environmental Engineer to support our Chicago, Illinois office and our Intelligent Water Management service offering.
Under the direction of the Chicago Location Manager, the Engineer will be responsible for supporting project initiatives as directed. These will include the following responsibilities.
This position will focus on water and energy efficiency assessments, facility water audits, environmental compliance, decontamination/demolition, and water/wastewater evaluation and design projects for industrial and manufacturing clients.
Primary responsibilities include:
1. Conducting industrial wastewater characterization sampling;
2. Assisting with industrial wastewater treatability testing of bench and pilot plant scale;
3. Assisting with the performance of energy use assessments, including the evaluation of a facility’s overall energy use and the identification of energy conservation measures;
4. Assisting with water use assessments, including the evaluation of a facility’s overall water use and discharges and the identification for water conservation and reuse measures;
5. Providing engineering support in teams for industrial water/wastewater and remediation treatment system design;
6. Performing Phase I environmental site assessments;
7. Performing environmental health and safety activities including air monitoring, wipe sampling, facility assessments, and waste disposal sampling;
8. Coordinating with subcontracted laboratories and drillers (coordinate field events, schedule sample delivery, process subcontractor invoices);
9. Oversight of subcontractors (e.g., drillers, surveyors, construction firms, utility locators, etc.)
10. Database management, preparation of data summary tables, data entry, electronic data deliverable processing;
11. Report preparation (data analysis/reduction/reporting and mapping);
12. Technical writing of site work plans, health and safety plans, groundwater and soil sampling reports, remedial investigation reports, OM&M reports, and other documents; and,
This role will require:
- 25 to 50% fieldwork performing a wide variety of tasks (see above);
- Because of the inherent nature of fieldwork the position will require work in a wide variety of environmental conditions (i.e., summer and winter conditions) and may require physical exertion;
- Field work will include work at sites on the National Priorities List and Superfund Sites;
- This position will require travel (travel may be required with short notice given by MWH);
- This position may interact directly with clients and the public during execution of field tasks;
- Perform other related duties as assigned; and,
- Follow company policies and health and safety guidelines to ensure personal safety. Qualifications • Bachelor of Science or equivalent in Civil Engineering , Environmental Engineering, Chemical Engineering or Environmental Sciences;
- Minimum of 2 years relevant Engineering work/school project and 5 plus years in relevant industry employment
- Excellent verbal and written skills are required;
- Strong organizational skills, multitasking ability and good computer skills (e.g., Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Access); and,
- A valid driver’s license in the United States of America. Preferred Specifications • Specialized computer skills (e.g., GIS, groundwater modeling, CADD, and geostatistical modeling).
- OSHA 40 Hour HAZWOPER certification and subsequent 8 Hour refreshers. Additional Information MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations. Requisition Number 11696BR City Chicago State/Province Illinois Country United States Operations E&I East
Back to top