Civil/Structural Engineer - Dams & Hydro Practice
MWH, now part of Stantec, is currently looking to add a Civil/Structural Engineer to support our Northern California Dams & Hydropower group.
The ideal candidate will have a strong background and/or interest in engineering design in the field of dams and hydroelectric power generation. This position applies advanced knowledge of civil, structural, geotechnical, and hydraulic engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with specific emphasis in large civil infrastructure related to dams and hydropower. The candidate must have familiarity with performing engineering problems and methods; and use advanced analysis techniques including the modification and extension of theories, precepts, and practices of the field and related sciences and disciplines. Applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors. Work products will include field investigations and working on design of water conveyance and storage facilities, dams, and hydropower projects.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Participant on multidisciplinary teams in an office environment as well as in virtual team environment.
- Preparation of studies, design criteria, design reports, plans and specifications, and quality assurance reviews of related designs and construction plans, and support of construction
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of various reports to ensure technical consistency and inclusion of appropriate documentation
- Inspect construction for compliance with specifications; review and approve drawings; conduct field inspections; review progress versus schedule;
- Perform preliminary and detailed civil/structural/geotechnical/hydraulic analysis for hydraulic structures and facilities for dams and other hydroelectric related projects, specifically including:
o Intake structures for dams and reservoirs with multi-level gates,
o Penstocks and outlet conduits,
o Energy dissipation structures,
o Control building and gate houses housing mechanical and electrical equipment for operation of dams and reservoirs, and
o Powerhouse structures for hydro-power plants.
- Support multi-disciplinary teams on civil and structural engineering projects.
- Evaluate alternatives and resolve technical questions.
- Assist with preparation of budgets and scopes of work.
- Organize, draft and coordinate production of drawings and specifications to ensure technical accuracy.
- Serve as engineer (civil, structural, geotechnical, or hydraulic) on small- to mid-sized projects and work on several projects concurrently.
- Assist in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, and completing progress reports.
- Assist technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring and other fieldwork.
- Work in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies. Qualifications • B.S. in Civil Engineering.
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification
- The successful candidate will have strong organizational skills, multitasking ability, and excellent computer skills. The position also requires excellent verbal and written communication skills, report preparation, and the ability to work with engineering staff at all levels. Some travel may be required.
- 2+ years’ experience in the design and implementation of large infrastructure;
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world. Preferred Specifications • Professional Engineer (PE) license in California
- M.S. with emphasis in structural, hydraulic, or geotechnical engineering
- Heavy civil construction field experience
- Experience in dams or hydroelectric related projects Additional Information MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations. Requisition Number 11543BR City Walnut Creek State/Province California Country United States Operations E&I West
Meet Some of MWH's Employees
Tim provides his technical expertise regarding all the mechanical systems in the turbine portion of hydropower generators, and he works with his team to prioritize projects and solve problems.
Back to top