Associate Structural Engineer
MWH, now part of Stantec, is currently looking to add an Associate Civil-Structural Engineer to support our Chicago, IL office location.
This position requires application of knowledge of structural engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignments and related fields, with a specific emphasis on hydraulic water retaining facilities; making decisions independently on fundamental engineering problems and methods, and capability of learning and performing more advanced engineering analyses with supervision. Supervision and guidance will relate largely to technical development, fundamental and advanced structural engineering concepts, project controls, and policy matters. The applicant must be capable of working effectively with teams and clients, and be willing to learn from peers and supervisors.
The primary responsibilities for this role will include:
- Supporting multi-disciplinary teams on civil and structural engineering projects.
- Performing preliminary and detailed structural analysis and design for Water Retaining Structures (dams, locks, etc.), Hydropower Stations, Wastewater Treatment Plants, Reservoirs, other Hydraulic Containment Facilities, and Industrial Buildings.
- Assisting with structural engineering on projects of all sizes and working on several projects concurrently.
- Design, analysis and specification of reinforced concrete and structural steel systems primarily, but may also include aluminum, masonry, timber and other materials.
- Assisting in project administration including writing reports, gathering information, drafting proposals, drafting correspondence, tracking project costs and completing progress reports.
- Working in a manner to ensure your personal safety and that of fellow employees by following company health and safety guidelines and policies.
- Developing plans and specifications for construction.
- Reviewing Contractor’s shop drawing and submittals regarding structural work and investigating and developing engineered solutions to Contractor’s Requests for Information.
- Assisting technical staff in field activities including site inspections, shop inspections, monitoring and other fieldwork.
- Receiving OSHA training for confined space entry to assist with tunnel (or similar) inspections.
- Occasional travel. Qualifications • B.S. in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- 0 to 2 years of experience in the civil/structural engineering
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Basic knowledge with the use of structural analysis software such as SAP 2000 or similar.
- Ability to prepare complete, concise and organized engineering calculations and analyses.
- Strong willingness to be a part of a large global engineering company, and to work with teams in other offices around the world.
- Ability and desire to obtain Professional Engineering registration. Preferred Specifications • M.S. in Civil or Structural Engineering.
- Experience producing 3D models and structural engineering drawings using AutoCAD, or REVIT.
- Demonstrated leadership experience in professional engineering organizations or equivalent at the student or professional level. Additional Information MWH is an EEO employer – MWH considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, ethnicity, religion, creed, color, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, medical condition, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship or other basis in accordance with federal, state or local laws or regulations. Requisition Number 11124BR City Chicago State/Province Illinois Country United States Operations E&I Central
Back to top