Media Relations Manager (full-time)
Are you someone who is:
- A media relations expert eager to promote the museum’s brand and exhibitions, programming, events, and spaces?
- A creative collaborator who enjoys working on teams?
- Connected to the media scene locally, nationally, and internationally?
If so, then the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is looking for you!
We have an opening for a full-time Media Relations Manager who is responsible for promoting all of the arts programming at the MCA and independently managing media activities related to the visual and performing arts, education, and other areas including events, store, restaurant, and key staff. The Manager will research and write media materials, including press releases, pitches, speeches, and media alerts. They will also work closely with the Communications team on department goals and strategies, and on major museum initiatives. To be successful in this role you must be able to:
- Develop strategies for short and long-term media initiatives and activities.
- Follow the news closely to regularly discuss issues and assist in crisis preparedness and planning.
- Lead media training for key staff members, coordinate interviews, write talking points, and prep speakers.
- Respond to media inquiries and requests from online, local, national, international and social media sources as well as build professional relationships with writers and social media.
Desired qualifications include a Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, art history, journalism, marketing/advertising, or related field; five or more years of professional work experience in media relations or editorial; and:
- An interest in the visual and performing arts is essential.
- Excellent writing and communication skills with experience in media and established relationships with writers and producers.
- Prior management experience necessary with facility for working collaboratively.
- An ability to be responsive and flexible is a must, as well as skills in organization and event planning.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Creativity and a background in arts and culture is preferred.
This is a full time position with a schedule of Monday through Friday, 9am-5pm, with evening and weekend hours for events and performances as needed. On call 24/7 in case of emergencies. General mobility throughout all museum properties is required.
Interested? APPLY NOW at https://mcachicago.org/About/Employment
P.S. The MCA provides a generous benefits package which includes: health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and personal days; free life, AD&D, short term and long term disability insurance; retirement plans; discounted parking; pre-tax transportation programs; visiting the MCA’s galleries; curator led staff tours of MCA exhibitions; discounts at the MCA Store and MCA Café; discounts for MCA Stage and other programs; plus a wide variety of discounts at many cultural institutions in the Chicagoland area.
The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. In addition, we aspire to make the MCA community and our environment – staff, audiences, artists, programs, and exhibitions – reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago and to capture the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: email@example.com.
See Inside the Office of Museum of Contemporary Art
The MCA is an innovative center of contemporary art where visitors experience the work and ideas of living artists and learn about the historical, social, and cultural context of the art of our time. The museum presents exhibitions, performances, and programs that excite and challenge visitors and provide insight into the creative process.
Back to top