Curator of Public Programs (full-time)
Are you someone who is:
- Able to synthesize and explain ideas and information clearly and to write effectively for many purposes and diverse audiences?
- In touch with the local, national, and international contemporary art and cultural scene?
- Interested in how museum learning and audiences, critical debate, and discussion are being conceived both within the local, national, and international context and beyond?
If so, then the Museum of Contemporary Art Chicago is looking for you!
We have an opening for a full-time Curator of Public Programs who will curate learning opportunities and engagement with visitors throughout the museum; including but not exclusive of live performance, visual arts, theatre, talks, conferences, symposia, dance, and music – addressing primarily adult audiences of both specialist and non-specialist interests and knowledge to create more audience-engaged and artist activated practices. To be successful in this role, you must:
- Have extensive knowledge of art history, the contemporary art world, museums, and museum education as well as demonstrated experience curating or producing museum events
- Have a broad and innovative knowledge of the new turns in museum education as well as extensive understanding of contemporary museums and audiences
- Possess strong presentation and teaching skills, great attention to detail and strong diplomatic and mediation skills
- Hold a deep understanding of museum audiences, as well as broad cultural knowledge
You must also have a Master’s degree in Art History, Curatorial Studies, Art Education, or equivalent with an interest in 20th and 21st century art, museums, and art education. Other requirements include:
- A minimum of five years of experience in a museum, education, or curatorial position or equivalent experience
- A clear expertise in curating museum opportunities with a deep understanding of public programming, contemporary music, performance, dance, and visual art
- Experience conceptualizing, leading, and curating all types of learning and educational engagement within the museum and its public spaces
- Demonstrated excellent writing, editing, and verbal skills required
This is a full-time position with a schedule of Monday through Friday 9am to 5pm, with evenings, weekends, and special events as required. General mobility throughout all museum properties is required. Computer skills required. Ability to undertake national and international travel is advantageous.
Interested? APPLY NOW at https://mcachicago.org/About/Employment
P.S. The MCA provides a generous benefits package that includes: health, dental, and vision insurance; paid vacation and personal days; free life, AD&D, short term and long term disability insurance; pension and individual retirement plans; discounted parking; pre-tax transportation programs; visiting the MCA’s galleries; curator led staff tours of MCA exhibitions; discounts at the MCA Store and MCA Café; discounts for MCA Stage and other programs; plus a wide variety of discounts at many cultural institutions in the Chicagoland area.
The MCA is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V. In addition, we aspire to make the MCA community and our environment – staff, audiences, artists, programs, and exhibitions – reflective of the diversity of the city of Chicago and to capture the spirit of access, inclusion, and equity in all we do. If you have any difficulty using our online system and you need an accommodation due to a disability, you may contact us at: [email protected]
Back to top