Senior Manager/Director, Sales Optimization
Sales Enablement & Operations at MuleSoft is transforming how we sell, enabling much larger ASPs and higher win rates. Our charter is to improve sales productivity, which is arguably the most important metric in our business. As Senior Manager/Director, Sales Optimization, you will tackle two primary challenges:
Growth & territory planning
You will lead the effort to understand our market opportunity at the account level and ensure that we are efficiently allocating our sales resources against that opportunity. As we grow, this puzzle is becoming increasingly complex and the stakes for getting it right are going up.
- Territory Planning
- Lead our territory planning efforts, working closely with Sales Management, Marketing, and Sales Operations.
- You’ll own the end-to-end process, which you’ll need to define
- Sales Management will own final account assignments and territory sizing
- Sales Operations owns underlying data quality and implementation in our systems
- Marketing provides data on account scoring and prioritization
- Objective is to create balanced territories that creates focus on the highest-propensity accounts and alignment across sales and marketing efforts
- Growth Planning
- AE capacity
- Work with Sales Management to determine how many accounts an AE in a given segment should cover
- Identify and propose, as needed, changes to our market segmentation
- Conduct coverage analysis to determine where we we have the most room to grow
- Suggest the amount of sales headcount that each region can carry
- Drive alignment on the success model (# opportunities, win rate, average deal size) for each segment
- Based on this information, bring a perspective to FP&A on the quota capacity for each sales region as part of our annual planning process
Sales Productivity Analysis
Data provides the foundation for behavior change. It helps us isolate the best behaviors and provides a reason to change for those who are lagging. It also helps us drive accountability for important behaviors.
Our FP&A team puts out core reporting packs on sales performance. You’ll go a level deeper, looking for indications of exceptional or lagging performance and drilling into the root causes of what you find. Your analysis will help focus Sales Management and the Enablement team on the most pressing issues that we need to tackle, from the senior executive level to the regional level. How you frame your analysis and engage key stakeholders will be as important as the underlying analytical work.
In addition to these responsibilities, you will be the primary interface to our Sales Systems team. You’ll work with them to ensure that our systems support best practice in the field, and that we can track and report on the right data in Salesforce.com.
This position is a new role. We’re looking for a leader that can scale a team over time.
- 30 days
- Complete the sales onboarding program. Build confidence in how we sell at MuleSoft, our value proposition, and our product. This foundation will be critical to your long-term success
- Partner with Regional Enablement Leads to diagnose issues and opportunities in their regions based on the data you see
- Take over reporting on key regional-level sales productivity metrics
- 60 days
- Determine current territory coverage in each subregion and segment
- Determine ideal number of new opportunities per AE per month by segment
- Determine ideal territory coverage ratios by segment
- Review suggested 2018 headcount by subregion and segment with TVPs (Theater Vice Presidents)
- Publish reports to sales management that the show progress of new hires against both learning objectives and business results
- 90 days
- Assess current market segmentation approach and propose any needed changes
- Review proposed process and timeline for carving territories with TVPs, Sales Ops, and Marketing
- Propose preliminary targets for # opportunities, win rates, and ASPs by segment
- Extend reports on the progress of new hires to include the SC, Customer Success, and Services functions
- You dig deep in your analysis, not satisfied to settle for surface-level answers
- You tell compelling stories with data, and know how to use data to create behavior change
- You are a collaborative leader and strong communicator. You are able to work with -- and win over -- strong personalities by balancing advocacy with inquiry
- You look first to yourself for solutions to thorny problems
- You favor practical, simple solutions
- You love working with an enterprise sales organization
- You enjoy being waist-deep in a big Excel model
- You had a formative career experience at a top-tier management consultancy
Meet Some of MuleSoft's Employees
Team Lead, Account Development
Tracy coaches, trains, and provides continuous sales education for her MuleSoft Account Development Representative Team. She executes on finding qualify opportunities that result in closed won business.
Back to top