Senior Director of UX Design
The MuleSoft executive team is seeking a user experience leader who will partner with us to transition our highly successful technology driven startup into a design centric industry powerhouse. MuleSoft is already recognized as the industry leader in IT automation from cloud to on-premise and across mobile, web and the internet-of-things (IoT).
The users of our products are technologists and business leaders who demand both the best holistic user experience across our platform and a seamless integration of our capabilities into their existing development workflows.
This challenge we face is the result of several converging trends. One is the advent of millennials driving the consumerization of IT both as employees and managers. These digital natives demand high-quality user experiences in all the tools they use. In addition, the the proliferation of data, devices, and services has increased complexity and data volumes to the point where legacy UX paradigms are no longer sufficient and must be replaced with advanced data visualizations and AI augmentation of human tasks to design and manage all of it.
This is a big mountain to climb but the next wave of digital enablement on planet earth requires it.
About the Position
Are you a UX leader with the desire as well as technical and creative chops to guide us on this quest to tame complexity?
MuleSoft is a diverse company comprised of passionate UX designers, Product Managers and Developers working collectively to solve some of the world’s most intractable enterprise IT problems. So how do you take a challenging problem and distill it down in a way that provides a delightful user experience with increased productivity yet still addresses the complexity and other “enterprise needs”? By applying the art, craft and science of UX to every problem from it’s inception through execution, by working directly with customers and partners to truly under their abilities, needs and requirements and by maintaining a sense of humor throughout the entire life cycle to keep the creative juices flowing.
So if you love solving design puzzles that include:
- Blank canvases where the problems have never be tackled before
- Designing a single product that scales for a plurality of user personas
- Workflows that really flow and even automate themselves
- Creating elegant conceptual models to complex systems that become easy to understand
The User Experience Leader must be a change agent within the organization, responsible for reshaping the experience with integration across a product suite of programmatic, graphical desktop, web-based and mobile interfaces.
The candidate should demonstrate a deep passion for solving big complex problems with elegant solutions and a solid track record of conceiving and delivering extraordinary experiences.
Domain experience in tools and software aimed at technical audiences (developers, designers, digital media producers, IT operations, etc.) can be helpful in understanding our products, but is not necessary. All candidates are asked to submit a design portfolio of your work that clearly demonstrates your creative skill and your contributions to putting winning products in the hands of real users.
The ideal candidate must:
- Prioritize delighting users (of course!) by truly empowering them to master the ever changing world of IT
- Foster empathy with end users across the entire organization and use it to motivate the entire company to contribute to creating beautifully designed products
- Grow and mentor a world-class team of interaction designers, visual designers and user researchers
- Be a strong presence in the conference room when design and business trade off discussions take place
- Be a leader in both words and actions
- Drive designs from ideation to implementation
The Leadership journey map:
- Familiarize yourself with MuleSoft and competitive products
- Build meaningful relationships with peers, UX reports and the executive team
- Access the current product design strategy and development methodology and suggest sustainable improvements
- Create a program to measure product usability and track improvement
- Create organizational plan for hiring and developing the UX team.
- Initiate improvements of the practical application of UX art, craft and science into the company’s DNA
- Define, lead and train to fill these gaps
120 days and beyond:
- Level up the whole company on the UX maturity curve
- Redefine the narrative
- Rinse and repeat!
About Our Benefits:
- Competitive medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- 401(k) and pre-tax health care, dependent care and commuter benefits (FSA)
- “No policy” vacation policy
- Commute up the peninsula on the MuleSoft shuttle
- Gym discounts and on-site yoga classes
- Mac or PC
- Fully stocked kitchen, regular catered lunches, weekly happy hours, family nights
- Annual, all-company weeklong MeetUp trip for collaboration, learning and inspiration
Meet Some of MuleSoft's Employees
Team Lead, Account Development
Tracy coaches, trains, and provides continuous sales education for her MuleSoft Account Development Representative Team. She executes on finding qualify opportunities that result in closed won business.
Back to top