Principal Architect, Platform
About the Position:
The Principal Architect - Platform, within the Office of the CTO, plays a central role in driving the central architecture and the architectural direction of this platform across its varied areas. The focus of this role is on the data modeling, the modularization, the APIs, and the runtimes, and with an eye on the present, the future, and the path between. The impact is direct and major, on the trajectory of the company (you are an owner), on our customers, and on the industry as a whole.
- Own overall platform architecture, including its direction, its principles, its various levels of abstraction, and its current state. Drive its information hierarchy and structures, domains of responsibility, key technologies.
- Work closely with the team for each area of the platform to create a shared vision for each area's architecture and how the pieces fit together.
- Keep this real, up to date, agile -- the opposite of an ivory tower.
- Iteratively evolve the platform architecture based on discoveries made while "peeling the onion", real-world implementation experience, product feedback, roadmap priorities, and other realities.
- Create effective communication vehicles for the platform architecture targeted at a spectrum of audiences and needs, external and internal.
- Architect not only the long-term state but also the path to get there, accounting for near-term product deliverables, technical debt, and the maturity and likely evolution of relevant technologies.
- Lead by example and work closely with engineering on strategic initiatives, designing high quality software, providing detailed feedback in design and code reviews, and bringing the craft of software engineering to bear on everything we do.
- Innovate and lead explorations into new areas and new technologies, within the company but also with other industry leaders.
- Proactively identify architectural weaknesses and recommend appropriate solutions.
- Evaluate new technologies and stay current with a broad range industry trends and developments.
- Hack. Blog and tweet and talk. Often.
- Deep interest and experience in broad software platforms, including platform information architecture, information flow, the appropriate modularization and loose coupling, flexibility vs specialization and optimization.
- Proven talent for architecting incredibly capable systems that are incredibly simple relative to those capabilities.
- A hands-on, practical approach to software and technology. You code. You deploy. You integrate. You prove by doing.
- Uncanny ability to drive a compelling long-term vision, sketch broad, long-lasting design directions, extract the principles which underpin the architecture, and dive all the way down to very specific implementation details, so you effectively hold the entire platform architecture in your head -- the forest and the trees.
- Matching abilities to capture the architecture in diagrams and documents, communicate it consistently and at the appropriate levels, guard it and evolve it, share it and involve others in advancing it forward.
- Master of architecting systems that can actually be built with finite time and resources, in that developers can run with the architecture, can make it their own, can translate it to the daily decisions that make up software development, and can inform the architecture.
- A great collaborator: someone whom the strong developers, leads, and architects on the teams want to work with, to follow through thick and thin; someone they understand and who understands them; an obvious leader of leaders.
- Exemplary track record of significant, ideally game-changing innovation and creativity.
- A can-do approach backed by accomplishments: they said it couldn’t be done, so I came in and found a smart way and made it happen, and ended up knocking it out of the park.
- Deep, hands-on expertise in cloud architectures (SaaS, PaaS, IaaS, distributed systems) and approaches to address their unique management and security considerations.
About Our Benefits:
- Equity and generous Employee Stock Purchase Program
- Unlimited vacation
- Gym discounts and weekly onsite yoga classes
- Catered lunches three times a week and a fully stocked kitchen
- Annual MeetUp, our company-wide offsite to learn, grow, and connect
- Frequent office activities and offsites, like Muleys at the Ballpark, Waffle Wednesdays, and family nights
- Regular opportunities to give back to the community together
- Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision insurance for you and your family
- 401(k) and pre-tax health insurance, dependent care, and commuter benefits (FSA)
Meet Some of MuleSoft's Employees
Team Lead, Account Development
Tracy coaches, trains, and provides continuous sales education for her MuleSoft Account Development Representative Team. She executes on finding qualify opportunities that result in closed won business.
Back to top