Sr. Software Engineer, Front End Full Stack
- Arlington, TX
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018). In the Americas, we're 14,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It's part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We're a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
MUFG is undergoing a significant transformation to make us more agile and newly empowered by a resilient and flexible technology stack. This means investing in talent, technologies, and tools that put our clients' and colleagues' needs first. If you want to make an outsized impact driving both a technical and cultural (mindset, processes, policies) shift at a large organization in the throes of a comprehensive digital transformation, look no further.
We are looking for a hands-on Senior Front End Full Stack Developer with an energetic and forward-thinking mindset to help grow teams of like-minded engineers to jumpstart our digital transformation.
You will work alongside engineers in the high-octane America's Technology Office (ATO) helping to define enterprise service architecture and build out the next generation of consumer facing apps. Sharing your passion and expertise with our growing team, you will mentor team members to elevate their skills while championing the necessary cultural shifts required at an organizational level .
This is a high-profile role with significant room for growth.
Intrigued? We would like to meet you if you:
- Have 5+ years experience with back-end development in Java (Spring Boot) or Node.js, and familiar with the challenges of managing traffic at scale
- Have leveraged Kubernetes, OpenShift or other container orchestration frameworks for handling production loads.
- Have deep experience in relational database design, usage and optimization (Oracle, MySQL, Postgres, MSSQL, etc)
- Understand RESTful service concepts and API design along with how to architect micro-service back-ends in a loosely coupled and cloud native manner.
- Don't just write code but can identify and explain different system trade-offs to technology and business stakeholders. Why should new methodologies replace what currently is in place?
- Have a solid understanding of modern build tools like Grunt, Webpack and/or Gulp.
- Bring good unit testing discipline and with tools like Jest, Enzyme, Mocha, Jasmine or JUnit.
- Take visual mock-ups and decompose, build and deliver optimized implementations using a variety of technologies, including identification of external dependencies and other potential development impediments.
- Use expertise of software development lifecycle, software design principles, OO concepts, SEO and performance optimizations.
- Develop functional prototypes to demonstrate concepts and to aid rapid iterative support for evaluative research.
- Git and/or other source code management systems are second nature to you along with creating developer ecosystems and CI/CD pipelines.
- Able to collaborate effectively with UI/UX designers to support truly excellent user journeys.
- Can clearly and concisely communicate about complex technical, architectural, and/or organizational problems and propose thorough iterative solutions
- Have experience with performance and optimization problem analysis and a demonstrated ability to both diagnose and prevent these problems.
- Tons of experience managing up to stakeholders, and down to responsible teams.
- Exercise rigor in testing, code quality, engineering standards and staying current on the latest technologies.
- Balance being product focused and engineering quality minded, both understanding and being thoughtful of tradeoffs.
- Use your experience with front-end optimization techniques (both in file weight and perceived/actual page rendering speed) to improve production/runtime performance that results from inadequate system architecture and/or technical debt.
- Bridge the gaps that currently exist specifically around processes and policies that prevent us from implementing modern coding patterns.
- Drive decisions on framework(s) being used, identify areas of improvements in existing code bases, and lead improvement solutioning.
- Provide technical leadership of the Agile team(s) responsible for developing the UI, API, and backend integration.
- Work with the Product Owner, Scrum Master, other Engineers, and Testers to iterate on new features. Earn, collaborate with, and teach other Engineers.
- You'll contribute to and follow our CI/CD process, alongside the rest of the Engineering team and the Consumer Bank as a whole
- Balance a sense of quality with the need for pragmatic, incremental improvement for both greenfield projects as well as tech debt remediation.
- Act as "Technical Stakeholder" role outside of the development department, as well as advocate for important changes to the technical roadmap.
- Provide front end technical guidance across functions (i.e. the feasibility of a new feature to our UX team, or an estimate of how long a feature would take to implement to a PM).
- Evaluate and audit all front-end development work (whether conducted internally or by external suppliers) to ensure to industry and internal standards are met.
- Analyze modifications necessary to the stack level architecture triggered by changes in business requirements, processes, or technical requirements, as needed.
How you will grow
Through your variety of experiences at MUFG, you will have the opportunity to develop technical, analytical, communication, and leadership skills that can help you achieve your full potential. No matter what career path you eventually choose, you will be continually challenged by your team members and your peers. Along the way, you will have access to mentoring and training opportunities to help foster and accelerate your development of new skills and capabilities.
Why you'll like working here as much as we do
- Competitive salary
- 401(k) employee matching program
- Cash balance pension plan
- Medical, dental, vision, and life insurance
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Flexible work arrangements
- Flexible-spending accounts
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Back to top