Senior Production Support Engineer - Applications, Vice President
Senior Production Support Engineer - Applications, Vice President - 10030651-WD
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018). In the Americas, we're 13,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It's part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We're a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
Reporting to the Senior Production Support Manager, responsible for managing the assigned area within the Centralized Application Production Support Services (CAPSS). The team has broad responsibilities for monitoring, validation, trouble shooting, break/fix activities, of Information Technology Group (ITG) owned or sponsored applications. Involves a 24 x 7 operation supporting hundreds of critical systems encompassing Mainframe z/OS, Microsoft Windows, AIX, Linux, Solaris, AS/400, Tandem, and vendor hosted applications. Evaluates system architectural design, transaction flow, data flow, volume, system capacity, response time, database transactions, file transmissions, MQ message handling, high availability characteristics and risks, and system logs, recommending changes to improve operational characteristics, reducing mean time to repair, increasing mean time to failure, reducing risk, reducing cost, and reducing customer impact. Devises and modifies procedures to solve immediate problems and avoid future problems. Plans, organizes, documents, and implements the technical support protocol. Manages a team of more than 10+ people with a mix of employees and contractors, onshore and offshore, to achieve 7/24 coverage.
General Job Scope:
- Manages and develops a team of technology professionals to achieve service level agreements and improve the quality and reliability of production support to software applications.
- Develops the depth and breadth of team members' knowledge, skills, and abilities to achieve a high performing team, a strong succession bench and career progression.
- Advanced and experienced professional level role.
- Performs work that is complex and varied in nature.
- Defines and discerns key aspects of complex problems and develops an integrated solution within a broad technical and business context of significant impact.
- Exercises seasoned independent judgment, making decisions regarding how to restore services in an efficient, effective, and risk adverse way within the scope of their deep technical expertise.
35% Staff & Production Support:
- Responsible for directly supervising staff, including interviewing, hiring staff and the termination of staff, recommending salary changes, job promotions, setting work hours, conducting counseling/performance reviews, coaching, and planning of the staff's work. This includes employees and contractors.
- Responsible for ensuring staff comply with all wage and hour regulations.
- Build and manage a technical staff of Production Support personnel.
- Leads and mentors production support team members.
- Quality: Ensures Production Support team's adherence to quality standards.
- Policy: Responsible that all Production Support staff adhere to company policy, especially all of those policies surrounding risk management and mitigations.
- Demonstrates the highest levels of honesty, integrity, and ethical behavior.
- Exercises outstanding skills in communication, teamwork and customer focus. Assists in budget preparation and reporting.
30% Vendor Management:
- Responsible for working with onshore and offshore technical leads/supervisors, optimizing the onshore/offshore resource model.
- Regularly attend meetings with the vendor for planning of their work, reviewing work product, etc., to insure highly productive onshore and offshore staff.
- Responsible for setting work standards, work deliverable form and content.
- Responsible for budget (actuals and forecast) models, regular reporting and review of escalated issues back to UB.
- Works with Contracts, and Vendor Management, and the resourcing vendor for creating and execution of Statement of Work (SOW).
- Responsible for smooth, seamless, teamwork between onshore and offshore resources, and between FTE's and contractors.
- Assess vendors for appropriate services provided.
- Recommends changes to management.
20% Management Reporting and Documentation:
- Responsible for the development, monitoring, and analysis of departmental metrics to drive the continuous improvement process to insure SLA's are continually met and continually improved.
- Prepares documentation about outages and restoration of services to both (a) restore services faster if the incident is repeated; and (b) diagnose the root cause of the service interruption and put a fix in place to reduce the number of incidents.
- Working with Application Teams, plans, organizes, and develops the technical support protocol documentation for applications and services (how to monitor and validate; system dependencies; common incidents and their resolution; physical deployment diagrams, etc.).
5% Restores Service:
- Responsible for resolving and managing escalated issues for restoring service.
- Directs the staff and duties necessary to resolve complex production problems.
- Directs the development of key integrated solutions with significant impact.
- Manages the process and staff to diagnoses and selects the most efficient, effective, and risk adverse method to restore services, fully cognizant of the complex interaction of the many systems and applications involved or affected by the outage and the resulting of restoration of services.
- Ensures staff has performed the appropriate validation of the restored service.
- Coordinates resolution with other IT area in problem determination and resolution of job or system exceptions.
- May direct vendor to facilitate the resolution of issues escalated to them and be the escalated focal point of contact for problem analysis and recovery.
- Collaborates with other ITG support groups on tasks beyond the scope of access authority or responsibility.
5% Diagnoses Root Cause:
- The manager may be involved directly in working issues and diagnosing root cause for escalated issues.
- Manages the staff reviews of service outage patterns to diagnose systemic problems, especially those involving multiple applications and services across a technical environment with multiple platforms involved in support of sophisticated banking services.
- Serves as an experienced contributor in devising solutions designed to quickly restore services to production applications, as well as fixes to avoid production failures in the future.
- Manages the solution implementation for changed processes.
- Works with the Development teams and Technical Operations staff to immediately resolve system and application problems and avoid future outages.
5 % Recommends System Configuration:
- The manager may be involved directly in working issues and recommending system configuration for escalated issues. In those cases, they review operational patterns of applications and services, discern early warning for potential system problems, design, recommend, and help implement solutions avoiding these outages.
- Studies system configurations for effective high availability operations, recommending architectures and implementations that provide sufficient automatic redundancy and capacity to avoid service outages due to single, and as risk requires, multiple points of failure.
- Typically has 8 to 10+ years of IT work experience in production and operations support and 2+ years of management and leadership experience managing enterprise, customer facing, financial services software applications projects and staff.
- Ability to work independently, make complex technical recommendations to restore services, operate in a time critical, high stress environment.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or a related field,or equivalent work experience.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Job : Technology
Primary Location : ARIZONA-Tempe
Job Posting : Oct 15, 2019, 9:28:13 PM
Shift : Day
Schedule : Full Time
Back to top