President of Union Bank and Head of Regional Banking
President of Union Bank and Head of Regional Banking - 10030761-WD
Are you passionate about creating an exceptional client experience?
Discover your opportunity with Union Bank, a division of the Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world. At Union Bank, we care about the details that matter most to our clients. We have our clients' best interest in mind, drawing on more than 150 years of experience to understand their distinct needs and tailor our solutions. We're part of 150,000 colleagues around the globe striving to be the world's most trusted financial group. Trust starts with a culture of putting people first and empowering you to achieve your potential. Join Union Bank, where being inspired is expected and creating results is rewarded.
The President of Union Bank and Head of the Regional Bank will lead all aspects of one of the largest regional banks holding companies in the United States, serving nearly one million customers nationally through PurePoint Financial and on the West Coast, leveraging the 150-year history and strong brand reputation of Union Bank. With more than 4,700 Union Bank and PurePoint Financial employees, the new leader will drive growth and improve profitability, while transforming the bank's data and digital insights capabilities to become an industry- leading client-centric banking institution. To that end, the executive will lead Union Bank's revenue units: Consumer Banking, Wealth Markets (including HighMark Capital and Union Bank Investment Services (UBIS)), Commercial Bank, Real Estate Industries, PurePoint Financial, and Intrepid Investment Bankers. The President will also have oversight of two shared service groups for MUFG Americas: Enterprise Marketing and Corporate Social Responsibility, and will lead support teams dedicated to advancing its business objectives: first-line Risk & Control and Customer & Employee Experience.
As a member of the Executive Committee for the Americas, the new leader will partner with executive business leaders across MUAH and the global parent company MUFG, ensuring a streamlined and cohesive experience for the Union Bank client, providing exceptional banking products and services. The President will also be a key member of MUFG's Global Commercial Banking Group (GCB) and will partner with peer commercial banking operations in Thailand (Krunsgri), Indonesia (Danamon), Vietnam (Vietin Bank) and Philippines (Securities Bank) to provide global collaboration.
The President will align and inspire the organization in pursuit of Union Bank's vision to be the premier and most trusted West Coast bank that is the local alternative to national banks with strong returns to our shareholder. As such, the senior leader will be an accomplished bank executive with an extraordinary track record of delivering strong and consistent operating and financial results and will inspire and motivate the organization, demonstrating leadership and innovation to succeed with impeccable integrity. Externally, will build trusted and sustainable relationships with key constituencies including clients, community leaders, regulators, and state/local government officials.
Reports to: Steve Cummings, President & Chief Executive Officer, MUFG Americas Holding Corporation and MUFG Union Bank, N.A.
Direct Reports: Head, Consumer Banking and President, Pure Point Financial; Head, Wealth Management and Private Banking; Head, Commercial Banking; Head, Real Estate Industries; Head, Core Banking Transformation; Head, Risk and Control; Head, Customer and Employee Experience; Head, Corporate Social Responsibility; and CEO, Intrepid Investment Bankers.
Other key relationships: Board of Directors, Executive Committee for the Americas, MUFG Head Office Leadership (in Tokyo), MUFG's Global Commercial Banking Group, Regulatory agencies, Community/civic leaders, Industry/trade groups, State and local government officials, and Media.
- Work closely with the Board, Executive Committee, and Head Office to set strategy and lead the company in implementation, focusing on the achievement of growth and profitability targets; modernization of technology; and other risk, control, compliance and operating objectives. Specific responsibilities will include:
- Develop a future vision for the company and a strategic plan with clear goals and measurable benchmarks and metrics.
- Benchmark the bank relative to top performing peer and other competitors, and achieve profitability targets:
- Optimizing net interest margin and growing fee income through further penetration of innovative products and services.
- Improving the bank's efficiency ratios through cost and efficiency management.
- Position the bank for future growth, broadening of products/services, and identification of M&A opportunities.
- Upgrade infrastructure, controls, compliance and operating capability:
- In the near term, ensure that the resources and infrastructure are in place to address all existing and upcoming regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Over the long term, ensure that the proper risk management and controls are in place to support future growth.
- Ensure that the bank can implement new/expanded product/service lines.
- Lead, motivate, and inspire the organization to continue to drive growth and deliver superior customer service by leveraging the organization's Cultural Principles and global performance framework.
- In partnership with the Chief Information & Operations Officer (CIOO), lead the bank's Core Banking Transformation initiative.
- Develop a robust line of communication and cooperation with the executive leadership teams of both MUFG Americas as well as the global parent MUFG.
- Manage relationships with all key external partners.
Desired Strategic Outcomes:
In alignment with the bank's existing strategic outlook and priority objectives, the leader will:
- In the near to-medium term:
- Diversify and grow revenue streams on West Coast and select products on a national scale
- Deepen existing customer relationships and increase acquisition of customers in target segments
- Grow deposits to fund assets at an optimal cost
- Enhance operational capabilities to achieve customer and revenue objectives while preparing the bank for the future
- Improve Return on Equity and Efficiency Ratio
- Over the long-term, address the following five key transformational goals centered around:
- Client Experience
- Provide clients with a seamless product suite
- Provide effortless access to the bank across channels
- Anticipate client needs and protect their interests
- Business Agility
- Shift to an agile operating model, allowing for seamless and rapid development and launch of new products and services
- Deliver a flexible, secure, and scalable technology platform
- Effective Controls
- Improve and integrate controls throughout the data lifecycle
- Enhance straight-through-processing to reduce operational risk
- Leverage automation to strengthen monitoring and risk management
- Empower a modern collaborative workplace, allowing for knowledge sharing via new technology
- Approach business with a streamlined end-to-end client perspective
- Promote a growth-oriented and highly efficient enterprise
- Enable growth goals within businesses and support inorganic growth aspirations
- Demonstrate commitment to expense savings
These initiatives will support and drive the following Objectives and Key Results (OKRs):
- Build a dynamic, client-obsessed business model
- Foster a diverse, inclusive, winning team and culture
- Effectively manage risks and ensure appropriate controls
- Deliver competitive results for our shareholder
- Leadership of a consumer and commercial banking business of scale
- A recognized leader in financial services from a major banking entity in the U.S.
- Proven experience in P&L management, either as CEO or head of a business unit, leading teams and businesses of scale within consumer and commercial banking.
- Expertise in consumer banking and/or consumer financial services is particularly important.
- Proven Track Record of Operational Excellence
- A demonstrated track record of success driving growth and profitability, as well as building core operating capabilities including risk management, compliance, controls, operating infrastructure, cost management, operating efficiency.
- Growth Orientation
- A track record of success in growing businesses and expanding into new areas, including through acquisition. This includes expanding through new innovations, particularly in the areas of digital, mobile, and other emerging technologies (API, Cloud, etc.).
- People Leadership
- A demonstrated ability to recruit, develop, engage, and inspire talented, diverse, and unified teams that exhibit a performance-driven, inclusive, and high-integrity mindset.
Critical Leadership Capabilities:
- Enables higher performance by incrementally improving approaches based on calculated risks and benefits.
- Benchmarks performance against industry and non-industry best practices.
- Proactively seeks to improve processes and implement best-in-class solutions across the organization.
- Drives higher-order performance relative to competitors.
- Creates accountability and brings a strong bias for action.
- Defines clear long-term competitive advantages and core strengths to enable the company to surpass traditional competitors and new market entrants and disruptors.
- Creates a strategy and articulates a compelling vision that integrates current business issues and initiatives, competitive challenges, future needs, and core values with transparency and provides a clear strategic direction for the organization.
- Aligns the company's vision, values, culture, structure, process, and offerings with a clear strategic plan.
- Challenges assumptions and conventional wisdom with specific, supported, and reasoned proposals.
- Communicates long-term direction and collaborates with the leadership and extended team on how to reach it.
- Delegates strategic objectives to the whole team with clear and explicit intent.
- Takes actions intended to engage, inspire, and energize all team members through communication, specific delegations and other initiatives with explicit and considered impact.
- Reinforces a performance-driven culture and holds people accountable for their commitments.
- Inclusive leader who appreciates and values a highly diverse workforce, at all levels and across all dimensions of diversity, and creates a highly inclusive workplace.
Other Personal Characteristics:
- Appreciation for Union Bank's distinctive position in the market, as well as the strength of its association with MUFG, the 5th largest financial group in the world.
- Unquestioned reputation for ethics, personal values, and integrity.
- "All in" and "get it done" orientation.
- Dedication to operational excellence.
- Intense focus on client-centricity.
- Collaborative and influential.
- Strong and visible advocate for inclusion & diversity.
- Intellectually astute.
- Excellent listener and communicator.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Job : Administration
Primary Location : CALIFORNIA-Los Angeles
Other Locations : CALIFORNIA-Irvine, CALIFORNIA-Woodland Hills
Job Posting : Dec 5, 2019, 1:29:22 PM
Shift : Day
Schedule : Full Time
Back to top