Data Conversion Engineer
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018). In the Americas, we're 14,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It's part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We're a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
This position supports the Core Banking Transformation (CBT) Program. CBT is a multi-year effort to modernize our deposits platform with a premier digitally-led and simplified ecosystem for consumer, small business, commercial and transaction banking to deliver exceptional customer experience and provide the bank a high-reaching advantage in the market. Our customers will benefit from streamlined and automated processes that simultaneously will provide the bank business process efficiencies and operational cost savings.
The Core Banking Transformation technology team seeks a Data Conversion Engineer who is will serve as a key member of the data conversion team and will be responsible to lead and execute the operational implementation of the core deposit data conversion from multiple legacy systems to a new core banking solution.
This role is responsible for designing conversion system components and configurations, for deposit and customer related data, and for designing the data reconciliation and validation strategies. This role requires collaboration with lines of business, internal and external technology partners, process engineers, project managers, operations managers, compliance officers, and others to drive and influence excellence and achieve desired outcomes.
- Develops understanding of target state products and services through information gathering sessions to figure out how vendor systems must be configured to meet business needs.
- Through data analysis, product mapping and interviews, gathers forms and data files from business/technology SMEs and works with the vendor team on validating if the product addresses the business data requirements
- Analyze complex data / data models and focus on the data research of multi-functional requirements, source and target data model analysis to develop and support the end-to-end data mapping effort
- Creates data maps and transaction workflow documents showing exactly how every field of information will be converted. Data mapping forms the technical specification for the conversion
- Shares data maps with programmers, business teams and others as appropriate to ensure successful conversion. Refines mapping through validation.
- Build processes supporting data transformation, data structures, metadata, dependency and workload management.
- As part of the conversion process, tests vendor software against business specific needs sharing reports and application specific data with business teams that reflect how conversion data will be processed.
- Reviews conversion results (reports, balancing, data load, software changes) with vendor teams
- Examines business processes, forms and reports, resolves operational needs and documents what vendor software will do and all related processes, forms, reports, etc. to be used after conversion is complete.
- Validates data and reports to make sure conversion is proceeding correctly, reviews test scripts with various data to see how new or customized transactions process through the software and verifies and validates accuracy of data through the generation of a variety of reports.
- Coordinates and conducts readiness review. This includes directing the business teams in the preparation and execution of test scripts to verify accuracy of data, training and procedures, system set-up and reports.
- Reviews the conversion results (reports, balancing of systems, balancing system conversion to associated General Ledger accounts and validates any discrepancies with the business teams.
- Coordinates and directs the completion of post-conversion maintenance potentially including error resolution, system or data changes and balancing adjustments.
- Maintains a deep working knowledge of core deposit and customer systems and their architecture and integration and maximizes the use of these systems to achieve efficiency, accuracy, creativity, and productivity
- Assists with the implementation, testing, and settings for the source capture system and maintains a working knowledge of that system to ensure compatibility with the core deposit system settings
- Maintains relationships with internal and external partners to use the best possible system support
- Serves as the domain guide on deposit and customer related reports; designs, develops and modifies reports as needed; and works closely with business team on data questions and issues
- Maintains current knowledge of applicable laws/regulations and bank policies and procedures
- Proficient in usage of distributed revision control systems with branching, tagging (git). Create and maintain release and update processes using open source build tools
- Work with partners including the Business, Infrastructure and Design teams to assist with data-related technical issues and support their data infrastructure needs.
- Responsible for production readiness and all operational aspects of the data services that will support critical MUFG applications
- Partner with Risk Management and Security team to identify the standards and required controls, and lead the design, build, and rollout secured and compliant data services to support MUFG critical business applications and workload
- Provide Level 3 support for troubleshooting and services restoration in Production
Required Education & Certifications:
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field, or equivalent professional experience
- 5-8 years of meaningful technical experience, with at least 3+ years of experience in design, development and delivery of critical data solutions in large complex IT environment, poses Experienced level skills in 3 or more of the following areas:
- Data Warehouse, Data Mart and Data Vaults
- Data Migration
- Data Backup / Restore, Replication, Disaster Recovery
- Data field encryption and tokenization
- Application design / develop / test experience with RDBMS and/or NoSQL
- Database Administration experience with Relational and NoSQL databases
- Metadata management
- 3 + years banking experience with a demonstrated proficiency in using bank core systems and Deposits data
- Experience with core system common file settings and configurations a plus
- Data Services solution design and implementation experiences in on-premise or cloud native environment, poses Expert level skills in 2 or more of the following areas:
- Experience with deposit / banking data conversions, including experience with data conversion reconciliation, both from source to target and within target, including reconciliation between sub ledgers and the GL
- Advanced knowledge in a data analysis and profiling including expertise with Informatica platforms
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets with ETL and Data engineering know how of SQL, Informatica PowerCenter or similar.
- Experience with relational SQL and NoSQL databases, including Postgres, DynamoDB etc. Experience with data pipeline and workflow tools: Wherescape Streaming, Wherescape RED, StreamSets Data Collector etc.
- Experience with stream-processing systems: Kafka, AWS Kinesis, Apache Storm, Spark-Streaming, etc.
- Experience in working with multiple vendors, technology partners across distributed delivery locations.
- Knowledge or expertise with banking industry packaged solutions preferred
- Awareness of data governance aspects like metadata, business glossaries, data controls, data protection, canonical models, etc
- Familiar with DevOps toolchain, i.e. BitBucket, JIRA, Jenkins Pipeline, Artifactory or Nexus, and experienced in automate and deploy n-tier application stack in cloud native environments
- Excellent data & system analysis, data mapping, and data profiling skills
- Demonstrate good understanding of modern, cloud-native application models and patterns
- Excellent collaboration skills and a passion for problem solving, with the ability to work alternative coverage schedules
- Proven customer service, significant experience related to verbal communication skills, process improvement, problem solving and teamwork
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, or a related field
- Experience within a high integrity, and/or regulated environment (government, healthcare, financial sectors, etc.)
- Experience with environment and deployment automation, infrastructure-as-code, deployment data pipeline specification and development.
- Experience with container orchestration technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, Openshift
- Demonstrable experience with Open Source software including OpenShift, Jenkins, PostgreSQL, etc.
- Strong scripting experience with automating processes and deployments using tools such as scripting (bash, python, perl, etc.)
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of the work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified .
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer and committed to leveraging the diverse backgrounds, perspectives, and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Back to top