Central Risk & Control Office (CRCO) - Governance and Oversight, Managing Director
- New York, NY
Do you want your voice heard and your actions to count?
Discover your opportunity with Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group (MUFG), the 5th largest financial group in the world (as ranked by S&P Global, April 2018). In the Americas, we're 13,000 colleagues, striving to make a difference for every client, organization, and community we serve. We stand for our values, developing positive relationships built on integrity and respect. It's part of our culture to put people first, listen to new and diverse ideas and collaborate toward greater innovation, speed and agility. We're a team that accepts responsibility for the future by asking the tough questions and owning the solutions. Join MUFG and be empowered to make your voice heard and your actions count.
The MUFG Americas Central Risk and Control Office (CRCO), as a part of the Americas Risk Management (ARM), supports effective risk management and internal controls across the enterprise, and is responsible for the establishment of standard risk and control program procedures, quality execution of Business Unit Risk and Control Officers (BURCOs) roles and responsibilities, promote quality and transparent reporting, and disseminating risk and control best practices.
The Managing Director of the Central Risk and Control Office (CRCO) Governance and Oversight team is a leadership position reporting directly to the MUFG Americas Head of the Central Risk and Control Office (CRCO). The role is responsible for leading the management, strategy and execution of the CRCO Governance and Oversight team, which includes establishing the standardized requirements and oversight for the BURCO quality of execution and performance of risk and control activities, as well as prioritize information requests between FLOD and BURCOs and act as the central point of contact between FLOD and CRCO, reporting of associated risk activities, operational processes, and internal control systems.
The role will be responsible for establishing the Governance and Oversight team including the development and execution of a strategy, prioritization of objectives through an implementation plan, defining resourcing requirements, and hiring resources. In this capacity, under the direction of the Head of CRCO, this individual (and their team) will actively engage with the BURCOs and will evaluate the BURCOs in their ability to identify, assess, monitor, and manage internal control and risk. This includes active engagement with the 2nd Line on the roll-out and implementation of risk management policies and internal control programs that will be executed in the 1st Line.
The individual is expected to be a people leader, functioning as an effective risk and control expert and be able to contribute to the overall execution and advancement of CRCO and Risk Management core objectives. The incumbent must provide thought leadership in risk and control practices; be able to direct and lead enhancements; possess excellent information generation / presentation (technical, influence) skills; and, communicate effectively with senior peer and executive management.
The BURCO Advisory and Liaison team acts as the central point of contact between the Business/Support Units and CRCO, and oversees and governs the BURCOs. Responsibilities include:
- Oversee and enhance BURCOs quality of execution and performance of risk and control activities, including the management of business unit activities, operational processes, and internal control systems
- Develop a workflow and prioritization of information requests for the FLOD / BURCOs
- Assess BURCOs ability to identify, assess, monitor, and manage risk, including active engagement with the SLOD on the roll-out and implementation of risk and internal control programs
- Act as a point of contact between business units and the CRCO
- Ensure appropriate management and mitigation of risks, including the implementation of processes, controls and action plans to address open issues
- Chair and facilitate a working group with BURCOs
- Enhance the connectivity between 2nd Line requirements and 1st Line implementation of internal control and risk management standards
- Employ a structured approach to translate, communicate, and address risk management and internal control requests from the 3rd Line in order to minimize business disruptions
- Engage as a teammate across peer group and in influencing the Executive Leadership Team
- Bachelor's Degree, preferably in Accounting, Finance, Economics, or related business discipline; advanced degree and/or professional certifications (e.g., CPA, CIA) preferred
- 15 to 20 or more years of relevant internal or external audit, financial services risk advisory, or risk management experience, plus 10-15 years of previous supervisory experience
- Thorough knowledge of the banking industry, and well versed in current events impacting the financial services industry
- Deep knowledge in risk and controls andrisk management, including Risk Control Self-Assessment, Issues Management, Product Risk Assessments, Third Party Risk Assessment experience in process evaluation, improvement, designing controls, evaluating and testing internal controls
- Expertise in leading transformational change and a consistent track record in project management and coordination / integration efforts across multiple groups
- Deep knowledge of Operations Risk and associated framework, information, security, privacy, fraud, fiduciary, SOX, product due diligence and product process
- Understanding of reporting and analytics, including regulations related to data governance and quality requirements
- Expert in development of committee and/or senior management reporting
- Knowledge of internal and/or external audit
- Knowledge of regulatory expectations for risk management, heightened standards (1st, 2nd and 3rd Lines of Defense) and examination management
- Familiarity with US regulations, compliance and governance
- Excels in relationship development and leading through influence across the organization and flexibility to adapt approaches to meet the needs of a broad range of businesses and multiple partners
- Well organized, focused planner and implementer with sound strategic judgment, thinking and vision
- Outstanding communication and presentation skills; able to foster close and collaborative productive working relationships
- Consistent demonstration of discretion and good judgment
- Track record of stature and influence with Senior Executives, including ability to challenge risk taking
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems quickly
- Dedicated, achievement oriented and takes initiative
- High degree of professionalism and confidentiality in handling sensitive information
- Capable of multitasking with a large portfolio of responsibilities
- Strong work ethic and work under tight deadlines
- Ability to attract, motivate and retain talent, and create a unified team.
- Encourage the MUFG Union Bank culture. Develop and promote a work place culture that values diversity of thought, integrity, supports coaching, and fosters accountability
Join us as we evolve our organization to become
more agile, innovative and inclusive!
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and committed to the diverse backgrounds, perspectives and experience of our workforce to create opportunities for our colleagues and our business. We do not discriminate in employment decisions on the basis of any protected category.
A conviction is not an absolute bar to employment. Factors such as the age of the offense, evidence of rehabilitation, seriousness of violation, and job relatedness are considered in all employment decisions. Additionally, it's the bank's policy to only inquire into a candidate's criminal history after an offer has been made. Federal law prohibits banks from employing individuals who have been convicted of, or received a pretrial diversion for, certain offenses.
Back to top