ESG Data Scientist
- Toronto, Canada
ESG Data Scientist
We are looking for a smart, energetic, and motivated Data Scientist to join our ESG Research team. The selected candidate will spearhead R&D and methodology projects that enable investors to integrate environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks in their fundamental research, portfolio construction, and risk management capabilities.
The role of an ESG Data Scientist touches a diverse range of models that help investors evaluate companies' ESG risks and sustainable impact. These models may help investors solve some of the following questions:
- Which companies are most impacted by talent scarcity and employee engagement?
- What do patent filings tell us about the effectiveness of company R&D investments?
- Can facility greenhouse gas emissions reported to the EPA be used as a gauge of production volume?
What we will offer you: Depending on your location of your role, you can expect ...
- Competitive fixed and variable compensation, holiday/vacation allowance & retirement savings plans/pensions
- Employee Resource Groups to support you in and out of the office
- A wide range of benefits including - healthcare, dental plans, risk insurances and (location dependent) - cycletowork schemes, gym benefits, retail discounts,
- A purposeful approach to Wellbeing including training, support networks, membership to wellness platforms and vendors, and active local office communities
- A specific and deliberate planning to the physical offices in which we work, and support for everyone spending periods of time working remotely or at home. This approach mirrors our commitment to transparency and sustainability and puts the safety and wellness of our employees at the center of all we do. We aim to provide productive and sustainable work environments and technology that encourages collaboration, creativity and innovation.
- Apply machine learning algorithms, natural language processing, parsing tools and other data science techniques to improve the effectiveness of ESG models
- Overcome data quality challenges with creative solutions, including familiarity with alternative, unstructured data
- Conduct back-testing and scenario analysis of proposed methodology enhancements
- Use statistical methods and programing to analyze, interpret, and visualize data
- Implement, test and document new computations used in ESG models.
- Promote best engineering practices to ensure quality assurance.
- Communicate complex topics in a simple way to internal and external stakeholders not familiar with the topics
- Experience in data manipulation and software development, particularly Python.
- Relevant experience in the fields of climate, environment, sustainability or finance.
- 2+ years of full-time professional experience in quantitative research or data science role with knowledge of machine learning, NLP is preferred
- Experience with ESG analysis is not a pre-requisite, but candidate should have a demonstrated interest in environmental, social, or governance issues.
- Self-motivated, pro-active and demonstrating an exceptional drive towards delivery.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to work as part of a multi-cultural and geographically distributed team.
- Coaching and support from experts in your team
- A performance and growth-oriented culture and values
- Opportunities for continuous learning to aid progression
- Goal based objectives and development plans
- Transparent performance-based compensation schemes
- Employee resource groups such as the Women's Leadership Forum, MSCIPRIDE, and Eco-Groups.
MSCI is a market leader in Global Indexes, Smart Beta, ESG and Risk Management, and is at the forefront of the secular trends dominating the financial services landscape today. We are committed to the future sustainability and transparency of the financial markets. We create innovative products and services that allow our clients to make more informed investment decisions, and we provide investors with critical performance measurement and risk management data and analytics. Click here to see what we do ( www.msci.com )
Our values define the working environment we strive to create. We are inclusive, we champion bold ideas, we always pursue excellence, and always act with integrity. Personal accountability and responsibility are key to success, and we always work as a team to remain client centric.
MSCI is committed to developing a culture and workforce that reflects the clients and communities in which we operate. Increasing our diversity expands our talent pool which helps to accelerate innovation in all we do. We especially encourage members of historically underrepresented groups to apply, including women, ethnic minorities and those in the LGBTQ community.
To all recruitment agencies: MSCI does not accept unsolicited CVs/Resumes. Please do not forward CVs/Resumes to any MSCI employee, location or website. MSCI is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited CVs/Resumes.
MSCI Inc. is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversifying its workforce. It is the policy of the Firm to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, citizenship, disability, marital and civil partnership/union status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy/maternity leave), veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to top