Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, one of the world's leading global law firms with more than 4,000 lawyers and staff in 30 offices, is seeking to hire a Patent Agent for the IP-Life Sciences Practice Group. This position will reside in our Washington, DC office.
The Patent Agent is supervised by the local Intellectual Property Practice Group Leader, but will have daily contact with, and receive guidance from, all of the partners in the practice group for whom this individual provides support.
The Intellectual Property Practice Group has a law school tuition reimbursement program to provide financial assistance to eligible employees in the practice group who are enrolled in and satisfactorily complete courses of study toward being awarded a Juris Doctorate degree from accredited law schools.
- Preparing, filing and prosecuting patent applications before the US Patent and Trademark Office
- Performing prior art searches and analysis
- Patentability analysis
- Engage in practice development activities to build and maintain client relationships
- Prepare substantive client correspondence
- Instruct local counsel for foreign filings and Office Actions
- Assist in patent clearance studies and other patent-related opinion projects
- Ability to apply advanced concepts in any life sciences field, with particular emphasis and/or expertise in molecular biology, cell biology, and/or biochemistry
- Study and analyze scientific or technical documents, including previously published patent documents, to assess patentability, novelty and inventiveness
- Draft new patent applications
- Convert prior provisional applications into utility applications
- Convert foreign filed applications into U.S. applications
- Convert U.S. applications into foreign applications
Education and experience:
- An advanced degree (PhD) in a biological field, including for example Immunology, Molecular Biology or Cell Biology, or similar biologic science, with excellent academic credentials
- Experience as a practicing patent agent in the field of life sciences is preferred
- Registered to practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Excellent writing and research abilities are a must, as well as proficiency in written and verbal communication, and strong organizational skills
COVID-19: Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP requires its personnel to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination is required.
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
California Applicants: Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act, the following link contains the Firm's California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice for Candidates which explains the categories of personal information that we collect and the purposes for which we use such personal information. CCPA Privacy Notice for Candidates
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP is also an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for employment with Morgan Lewis and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please call or email the following contacts:
- Professional Staff positions: Please call 888.534.5003 or email email@example.com
- Lawyer/Summer Associate positions: firstname.lastname@example.org
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius, LLP reasonably accommodates applicants and employees who need them to perform the essential functions of the job because of disability, religious belief, or other reason protected by applicable law. If you believe you need a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact Karen Queen-LeBoo at email@example.com.