Administrative Support Manager
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP, one of the world's leading global law firms with over 4,000 lawyers and staff in 31 offices is seeking an Administrative Support Manager. Reporting to the Director of Administration, this position is responsible for providing lawyers, clients and other legal personnel with highly skilled client-service focused support by managing the secretarial staff and related functions in an efficient and cost effective manner. Responsibilities include hiring, resource allocation, training and development, workflow management, staff utilization and management, performance evaluation and management, coaching, counseling, and administration of personnel policies and procedures.
PRIMARY FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Staff Utilization and Management
- Develops and implements staffing plans; manages secretarial assignments.
- Works with office management and practice group leaders to develop staffing configurations consistent with workflow and support requirements of practice group and office.
- Maintains master secretarial schedule; manages daily desk coverage and overflow requirements to ensure effective delivery of services and utilization of staff. Ensures adequate evening and weekend coverage.
- Reviews and approves secretarial vacation requests to ensure adequate coverage.
- Ensures floaters, floor secretaries and temporary staff have the training and information necessary to support their assignments.
- Engages temporary staff as needed; processes and approves related invoices; monitors expenses.
- Monitors secretarial ratios; in partnership with Director of Administration, works to ensure compliance with Firm's ratio targets; prepares monthly ratio reports.
- Ensures coverage for after hours and weekend work, closings, off-site assistance for trial support and special projects as requested.
- Works with practice group leaders on office logistics to provide the most effective support for attorneys while maximizing use of secretarial staff.
- Directs and manages the work of the floater secretaries and other groups, as assigned.
- Oversight of notary certifications and compliance to ensure notaries are current on licenses and payment requests are approved.
- Oversight and execution of employee events and activities related to the support teams and other groups, as assigned.
- Leads by example; establishes clear expectations; sets direction and priorities; ensures that work levels are balanced among all staff; resolves internal staff issues in a timely manner; keeps staff informed of all appropriate information; builds effective team; delegates at appropriate level.
- Facilitates the development of staff by providing opportunities and support; provides timely feedback on work product; regularly coaches, evaluates, and recognizes staff performance and accomplishments.
- Establishes/adheres to Department budget; seeks opportunities to improve Department efficiency and reduce expenses by streamlining operations.
- Determines open position requirements.
- Participates in hiring process of candidates including coordination of interviews, as needed.
- Provides orientation and training for newly hired secretarial and support services staff.
- Promotes work environment that fosters teamwork.
- Organizes and conducts secretarial seminars and general meetings; keeps staff informed of all appropriate information.
- Establishes clear expectations; sets direction and priorities; ensures that work levels are balanced among all staff.
- Manages secretarial and/or attorneys issues; mediates disputes between secretaries and between attorneys and secretaries; resolves issues in a timely manner.
- Facilitates the development of staff by providing opportunities and support; provides timely feedback on work product.
- Regularly coaches, evaluates, and recognizes staff performance and accomplishments.
- Counsels secretaries regarding work performance, attendance, or behavioral issues; prepares documentation as appropriate.
- Counsels, disciplines, terminates employees as necessary in collaboration with Human Resources.
- Distributes daily and/or weekly performance evaluations for floater secretaries; meets regularly to discuss performance issues.
- Consults with Director of Administration and HR as needed.
- Manages the annual secretarial evaluation process, to include: reviewing attorney contributing and consensus reviews; preparing consensus reviews, if necessary; conducting review meetings and obtaining signed copies of reviews; preparing meeting summaries.
- Analyzes salary data; proposes annual increase recommendations; prepares written justifications for proposals which exceed firm guidelines.
- Participates on office and firm-wide committees, as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- The incumbent of this job directly manages approximately 40+ non-supervisory employees. He/she carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the firm's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
This job requires:
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from a four year college or university, and
- Seven (7) years of progressively responsible, directly related experience in a leadership role with at least three years in a supervisory role or, equivalent combination of education and experience.
- This job requires occasional travel (inter-office)
- This job may require evening and weekend work
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Participative and consultative management style; interacts well with all levels of management and staff
- High energy; self-motivated; results oriented
- Confident manner; ability to establish credibility quickly
- Ability to work comfortably in a matrix organization
- Ability to deal positively with adversity and difficult situations
- Team player who can establish trust with all levels of personnel
- Strong leadership and management skills
- Excellent judgment
- Strong analytical skills
- Proficiency with technology required for the job
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Planning/organizational skills
- Effective listening skills and problem solving skills
- Ability to adapt to change and balance competing demands
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business documents; ability to write reports, business correspondence and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of attorneys, managers, and staff.
- Advanced math skills (compute rate, ratio, percent; able to draw and interpret graphs and charts)
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw conclusions
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be proficient in the following software:
Administrative Applications: Workday, Kronos, Chrome River
Document Management: MS-Office (MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel), FileSite or other document management system
Database Software: Access, work group specific.
Communications: Email (Outlook) & Internet
Morgan, Lewis & Bockius LLP is committed to equal employment opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. We value and encourage diversity and solicit applications from all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, gender, sex, age, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law.
Pursuant to applicable state and municipal Fair Chance Laws and Ordinances, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
California Applicants: Pursuant to the California Consumer Privacy Act, the following link contains the Firm's California Consumer Privacy Act Privacy Notice for Candidates which explains the categories of personal information that we collect and the purposes for which we use such personal information. CCPA Privacy Notice for Candidates
Morgan Lewis & Bockius LLP is also an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
If you are interested in applying for employment with Morgan Lewis and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please call or email the following contacts:
- Professional Staff positions - 1-866-963-7137 / firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lawyer/Summer Associate positions - email@example.com
Back to top