Ceramic Engineer I
Join the largest manufacturer of tile and natural stone in the United States and watch your career stand out with Dal-Tile, a subsidiary of Mohawk Industries.
Our close-knit team of dedicated professionals has made us the success we are today. In exchange for their hard work, we support our people with a family-friendly work environment, a commitment to promoting from within, unique benefits that go beyond just medical and dental, and a belief that every employee deserves a productive life outside of work. If this sounds outstanding to you, take the first step forward and explore a career with Dal-Tile.
The Ceramic Engineer executes the research and development of technical projects in the Dallas based R&D center.
- Develop and execute research projects in the Dallas based R&D center.
- Work closely with senior engineers on complex projects.
- Lead less complex projects and direct team members as required.
- Perform the hands on work required to complete each phase of the project.
- Set-up and run a wide variety of laboratory equipment after some initial training. These range from crude clay processing equipment through highly sophisticated scientific instrumentation
- Prepare and present project updates and final reports.
- Help establish and/or maintain systems to increase R&D effectiveness
- Travel to plants as necessary to perform testing, implement projects and provide technical assistance
- Current research projects are focused in several different areas including but are not limited to:
- Raw material evaluation and selection
- Body formulation and evaluation
- Firing profile characterization and optimization
- Glaze evaluation and replacement criteria
- Evaluation of alternative glaze application techniques
- Color theory application to shade evaluation and control
- Reducing test variation in all areas of our operation
Education & Knowledge:
- Requires a BS in Ceramic Engineering, Materials Science or related degree with emphasis in ceramics.
- 0-2 years of engineering experience.
- Experienced applicants should have a working knowledge of glazes, pastes, color development, and spectrophotometers.
- Strong communication skills, organization, data analysis and interpretation, and interpersonal skills.
- Strong problem solving skills, ability to train, coach and to coordinate priorities.
- Ability to compare and analyze glaze appearance versus master and adjust characteristic as needed.
- Capability to execute several projects at once.
We offer competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package, career opportunities, and an environment of creativity and growth.
Back to top