Director, Store Planning & Construction
Who are we?
MM.LaFleur is a vertically-integrated womenswear brand that provides complete wardrobe and personal-styling services for the busy professional woman. The company is revolutionizing the workwear space through a trifecta of offerings: luxury workwear that is both practical and elegant, a personal-styling service (available online and off for free), and content that resonates with the multidimensional woman of purpose. MM.LaFleur’s mission: to take the work out of dressing for work.
About this role
MM.LaFleur is redefining "brick and mortar." We are creating a game-changing experience for our customers who love great style but have minimal time to shop (hence our hashtag, #BetterThingsToDo). Our key differentiator is our hyper-personalized customer service, and we want you to be on the ground floor of building that experience.
As Director of Store Planning & Construction, you will develop and direct responsibilities for the company’s retail expansion across the U.S., reporting directly to the Head of Offline Retail and working closely with the Visual Merchandising and Finance teams. You will build out and lead a team in-house as well as manage outsourced consultants and vendor partners. You must be comfortable getting your hands dirty and experimenting with pop-up concepts, as well as setting up clear processes to ensure success and allow us to scale in a big way over the next few years. Want to join the ride?
What will you do?
- Manage the development and construction of four showroom locations in 2019 across the U.S., plus various pop-up projects. Responsibilities range from the signing of the Letter of Intent to the turnover of the space to the retail operations team. (80% showroom, 20% office space)
- Advise Head of Offline Retail on location-finding with respect to base building conditions, layouts, dimensions, and engineering requirements; negotiate work letter at the signing of the lease
- Hire and contract architects, designers, consultants, and general contractors
- Develop a bottoms-up budget and timeline for executive approval, and manage throughout the project; ensure tenant allowance is collected in a timely manner
- Review all architectural plans, shop drawings, lighting proposals, and other documentation related to design development and construction processes
- Manage licenses and documents necessary for projects
- Create and implement project schedules and budgets for multiple projects at the same time
- 8+ years of experience with construction management and design project management. Retail experience required; residential experience is a bonus.
- College degree. Degree in architecture preferred.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD, MS Office, Adobe.
- Rockstar negotiation and communication skills, both written and oral.
- Knowledge of millwork standards, details and construction.
- Ability to turn on a dime and to thrive in a fast-paced startup environment.
- Competent in handling and organizing a large volume of projects and interfacing with all levels of management, as well as general contractors, vendors/suppliers, and architects.
- Passion for MM.LaFleur's mission to “take the work out of dressing for work.”
See Inside the Office of MM.LaFleur
MM.LaFleur is an NYC-based e-commerce company that "takes the work out of dressing for work" for professional women. Combining aspects of a woman’s personal style and dynamic lifestyle, the company offers luxury-quality pieces at contemporary price points. MM.LaFleur’s business isn't limited to product—the company also publishes a digital magazine, The M Dash, and provides standout service by pairing each customer with her own MM stylist.
Back to top