The Systems Engineer will focus on the architecture, deployment and ongoing support of MLB’s enterprise platforms, systems and applications, with an emphasis on middleware and data persistence platforms, such as Google Cloud SQL, Google Cloud Spanner, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and IBM DB2 UDB. Responsibilities include deployments, migrations, enhancements, automation and operations. Qualified candidates must be able to work within a team, sharing responsibilities and knowledge with their colleagues and operate in an open and collaborative atmosphere. Occasional travel in support of infrastructure deployments, operational issues, tech conferences or MLB special events may be required.
- Architect, deploy, scale, migrate and operate enterprise middleware and data persistence platforms, with an emphasis on relational and non-relational databases and storage platforms, such as Google Cloud SQL, Google Cloud Spanner, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, and IBM DB2 UDB.
- Ensure that infrastructure platforms leverage a cost-effective monitoring and observability framework to establish and maintain availability, performance and data integrity SLOs.
- Produce operational health checks to provide insight on usage trends to support strategic decision making.
- Participate in incident response for critical service interruptions and outages.
- Recommend updates and changes as technology evolves.
- Partner with MLB Information Security to design and implement security policies, procedures and technology to ensure all MLB business applications and end users adhere with industry best practices around data security and sovereignty.
- Assist engineering teams with acceptance testing, load testing, troubleshooting, and performance tuning as needed.
- Develop, document, and present recommendation proposals, including selection criteria, evaluation, analysis of options, justifications, and final selections.
- Assist with managing vendor relationships and negotiating favorable commercial terms and pricing for MLB and its affiliates.
- Create & maintain relevant system documentation.
- Other infrastructure and systems engineering tasks and duties as assigned.
- 5+ years’ experience working in a multi-platform, multi-site environment.
- Bachelors/Masters degree in Computer Science/Engineering or equivalent professional work experience.
- Strong prior work experience with the following supporting technologies: Linux, Tomcat, Git, Jenkins, Rundeck, Ansible, Puppet, Google Cloud SQL, Google Cloud Spanner, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, IBM DB2 UDB.
- Prior work experience managing highly scalable and durable infrastructure platforms in a hybrid cloud configuration using VMWare and AWS or GCP.
- Solid understanding of SQL/relational and NoSQL concepts required.
- Working knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, continuous deployment and operations.
- Experience with LDAP platforms such as OpenLDAP and RedHat IPA a plus.
- Experience with Linux shell scripting a plus, preferably using bash or Python.
- Experience with data center network routing and switching technologies a plus.
- Tenacious problem solver and continuous learner who can make routine decisions, solve complex problems and readily adapt new technologies in a fast paced, complex and demanding environment.
- Powerful communicator, in both verbal and written form, able to articulate concepts and ideas, break through barriers, engage people, and work effectively with others under pressure.
- Ability to quickly establish credibility with multiple technical stakeholders, including executives, engineering, architecture, operations, security, quality assurance, etc.
- Able to treat confidential information in a discreet and appropriate manner.
- Demonstrate a commitment to highly professional & ethical standards in a diverse workplace.
- Able to work non-traditional hours, in non-traditional settings. This includes occasional weekends, evenings, and holidays as well as potential travel to industry and baseball special events.
This list of position functions is not all-inclusive and may be supplemented or modified.
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of growth, teamwork, and professionalism. Employees who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify problems and provide solutions, and always put the Team first. For those ready to step up to the plate and join the Major Leagues, MLB takes the same approach as teams do with their players: empowering our “workforce athletes” to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are passionate about growing America’s pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB’s vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment. With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Are you ready to Step Up to the Plate? Apply below!
All in-office and ballpark-based positions are subject to MLB's mandatory Covid-19 vaccine policy