Sr. Broadcast Operations Engineer
- New York, NY
The Senior Broadcast Operations Engineer will be responsible for day to day supervision of operations forbroadcast technology with Major League Baseball. This will include supporting multiple existing ballpark video, communications, and IP systems. This position will be full-time and primarily be based in our New York operations center.
The candidate should possess a functional understanding of IP networks, audio and video broadcast systems, video encoding and decoding, as well as having knowledge of integrated multimedia control systems.
- Act as primary supervisor for broadcast operations as well as broadcast engineering workflows to ensure that daily responsibilities for the group are being accomplished.
- Act as point person to in efforts to maintain, repair, install, and expand broadcast, and broadcast related systems.
- Provide training support for junior members of the operations team.
- Work closely with Management teams to develop and refine system processes with remote and local teams for Major League Baseball (MLB) and Minor League Baseball (MiLB).
- Proactively escalate issues and communicate effectively to other departments within the MLB as well as club specific contacts to expedite eventual resolutions of outages.
- Candidate should have some supervisory experience as well as an eagerness to learn new broadcast and IP technologies to meet current and future needs of the facilities.
- Primary support of game-day operations for the MLB.tv and MiLB.tv products. QC, analyze, and troubleshoot gameday feeds and corresponding MLB and MiLB ballpark hardware for customer facing live streams.
- Provide tier 1 support for broadcast related MLB hardware, software, and communications devices at MLB Ballparks and MLB data centers.
- Provide technical operations support to the Replay Operations, Broadcast Engineering, Player Tracking, and Ballpark Infrastructure teams.
- Provide operational support of video transmission systems, including IP and ASI encoding, decoding, and other broadcast transmission related hardware.
- Ensure proper notation from the full staff as well as overseeing the nightly engineering reports and creation of relevant tickets.
- Open, update, and close service tickets as necessary.
- Proactively monitor, analyze, and rectify technical faults in a variety of broadcast and broadcast related IP systems.
- Provide technical operations support of ballpark communications systems as problems are reported.
- Occasionally provide on site assistance with remote ballpark teams for installation, decommission, and general upkeep of ballpark devices.
- Perform regular sweeps of facilities to identify issues and notify the system owners of faults found with their equipment.
- Create and review operational level SOP’s and signal flow drawings to ensure department repository of documentation is up to date.
- 5+ years of experience in the Broadcast industry, or related work experience.
- Working knowledge of video backhaul and distribution methodology.
- Competence with Mac and Windows Operating Systems.
- Functional Knowledge of ASI and IP Video Transport concepts.
- Willingness to travel to assist remote teams on potentially short notice.
- Experience with Evertz, Ross, Sencore, Grass Valley, Elemental, ClearCom or equivalent Broadcast hardware manufacturers.
- Understanding of networking topology, and OSI Model.
- Experience with video transport over WAN/LAN, and IP Packet analyzers.
- Experience with video encoding and assorted CODECs.
- Programming or scripting experience is desirable, but not required.
Back to top