Business Intelligence Data Engineer
- New York, NY
Major League Baseball Business Intelligence (MLBBi) team is looking for a Business Intelligence Data Engineer, who can assist our team in our evolving goal of providing enterprise class solutions for the game of baseball. The MLBBi team is responsible for gathering data from varied sources (internal/external) and consolidating them into our data warehouse, in order to provide analytics across the organization in order to deliver business critical analysis. Our platform is used across the enterprise in such situation as, but not limited to, player analytics, baseball development and operational reporting.
As the Business Intelligence Data Engineer, working in our NYC office, your primary task will be to design, build, and maintain various parts of the data warehousing and reporting infrastructure, including requirements gathering/documentation, architecture, ETL development and data modeling. We are a lean team and we all play multiple positions on the team (architecture, system administration, data evangelist, python developer, etc.). Your careful attention to detail and honed problem-solving talents will serve you well, as you develop not only visualizations and reports but have a key role in architecting our next stage data/analytics platform leveraged across the enterprise, which will be the backbone to some of baseballs operational decisions.
- B.S. or M.S. in computer Science, equivalent engineering degree, or relevant practical experience.
- 3-5 years of progressively complex related experience.
- High proficiency in SQL (ANSI) with the ability to write complex freehand SQL including sub-queries, nested queries, and other advanced SQL features.
- Experience with a RDBMS (MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQL Server a plus).
- Proven experience with development and scripting in Java, Object-Oriented Languages, Python or any of the major languages to build robust data pipelines and dynamic systems.
- Proven ability to leverage multiple tools and programming languages to analyze and manipulate data sets from disparate data sources and build innovative solutions.
- Proven knowledge of GCP including services in their compute, storage, databases, management tools, and analytics portfolio. (open to AWS/Azure equivalents)
- A passion for data, and an understanding of how to work with large data sets consisting of as well as willingness to learn new technologies and methodologies under minimum guidance.
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Development and execution of data structures and pipelines to organize, collect and standardize data to generate insights and addresses reporting needs.
- Demonstrate a deep knowledge of, and ability to operationalize, leading data technologies and best practices in order to identify and assess critical capabilities and recommend solutions.
- Design and modify components of new and existing IT systems to promote integrated corporate business systems.
- Baseball knowledge a plus
- Experience with SAP DataService is a plus
- Experience with MPP Data Warehouses (BigQuery is a plus)
- Experience with implementing complex, enterprise-wide data transformation and processing solutions
- Experience with data in various forms (data warehouses/relational SQL, NoSQL, JSON, unstructured data environments/PIG, HIVE, Impala)
- Experience with GCP Data Pipelines (GCP Professional Data Engineer certification) a plus
- End-to-end SDLC experience a plus
Major League Baseball (MLB) is the most historic of the major professional sports leagues in the United States and Canada. Employees love working at MLB because of the culture of opportunity, collaboration, and professionalism. The professionals who are most successful at MLB take initiative, know how to identify and solve problems, put the team first, and work collaboratively. For those who are ready to join the “Major Leagues” of their careers, MLB takes the same approach as they do with their players: striving to empower their own “workforce athletes” to be at their best by engineering experiences that put employees in the best position to succeed. Major League Baseball is looking for candidates who are ready to step up to the plate and continue transforming America’s pastime to best serve its fans for decades to come.
MLB’s vision is to be the global sport of choice for youth to play, fans of all backgrounds to enjoy and a desired destination for employment.
With a belief that the journey to growth and greatness is ongoing, MLB gives employees the opportunity to continue learning and honing their skills with programs such as: tuition reimbursement; mentorship programs; lunch and learns; online course subscriptions; paid industry certifications; business resource groups; and more.
MLB provides its employees with exceptional medical, dental, and vision coverage. Premiums are 100% employer covered to help employees focus on being their best!
Are you ready to Step Up to the Plate? Apply below!
Back to top