Regulatory Food Expert
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to improve performance attributes and make valuable contributions in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
You will provide regulatory knowledge and experience required to maintain current US domestic and Asian food contact regulatory requirements. Manage compliance activities including, but not limited to: analysis of raw materials and finished goods against pertinent regulations, record-keeping and regulatory reporting. You will be taking lead in crafting FDA approved coatings for distribution globally. You will also have an integral part in Michelman's new product development. You will serve as Michelman's "Subject Matter Expert" for our facilities in North America and Asia.
- Lead the US and Asian compliance program in the context of a global product base
- Manage US and Asian food contact information relative to raw materials and finished goods
- Work actively to assess future trends in food contact regulations and communicate impact on Michelman products and customers' markets
- File Food Contact Notifications (FCN) as business instructs
- Understand and share the methodologies within the chemical industry and other industries and improve methodologies within Michelman
- Work with legal firms to obtain opinions on various food contact related compliance issues
- Act as backup for European food contact requirements
- Manage Kosher compliance program
- Help sales staff to understand food contact regulations so that opinions can be confidently and accurately communicated to customers
- Provide internal training and/or information exchange on pertinent issues to appropriate departments as needed
- Attend appropriate conferences and training as required to perform primary responsibilities
- Coordinate the Product Center with raw material regulatory data so that technologists can confidently use this database in selecting raw materials for use in a research project.
- Responds to Health Canada issues and correspondence
- Perform other Regulatory duties as assigned or as the situation instructs
You might be a fit for this role if you have the following
- Able to think independently and self-initiate problem solving
- Are self-motivated on projects and can see them through completion
- Have excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Ability to build and deliver effective presentations to diverse groups
- Able to make interpretations of food contact regulations within the holistic environment of a business
- Working knowledge of 21 CFR and Asian food contact regulations – Specifically parts 175, 176, 177
- Secondary knowledge of European food regulations
- Provides regulatory mentorship around food contact and kosher compliance to internal and external customers quickly and concisely
- Able to concurrently multi-task in a time sensitive environment
- Able to provide recommendations on expenditures pertinent to food contact during budgeting
- Deep understanding of global food contact regulations
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science (or equivalent) in Food Science, Biology, Chemistry, Environmental Science or science-related field
- Have 5+ years' experience in the food process, beverage, and chemical products industry, with an emphasis on food packaging applications
- Normal office environment, but also requires working in a chemical factory environment
- Required to wear PPE equipment when needed
- Able to travel by car and plane to visit a global base of customers and facilities 5 to 10% of the time
- Position is located in Cincinnati but working remotely is an option
- Relocation assistance available
Michelman is proud of the values focused work environment that we have crafted. We pride ourselves in our focus on our values of integrity, respect and success. With our dedication to your technical and professional growth in addition to our rigorous onboarding experience, we guarantee you will find yourself challenged in new ways. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a dynamic, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. You will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top