Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
We have a great opportunity available for a Project Engineer to join Michelman at our headquarters in Cincinnati, OH.
You will have the opportunity to evaluate, plan, and implement capital and expense projects that support the Americas facilities. This includes developing engineering specifications and capital estimates as well as hands-on responsibility for project installations, equipment start-up and commissioning. Responsibilities will also include implementing process, safety and cost savings improvements for existing equipment, facilities and manufacturing processes.
You will also have process engineering responsibilities, including working with the Process Engineer, Production and Quality Control to improve the consistency, quality and efficiency of new and existing products.
The Responsibilities of This Position Will Include:
- Lead Capital projects from concept to completion, including:
- Detailed engineering design
- Project cost – equipment & installation quotes
- Develop project justification
- Lead engineering and safety design reviews
- Responsible for CER documents and submittal
- Manage project schedule and installation
- Lead startup and commissioning – including pre-startup safety reviews
- Responsible for project close out documents, drawings, PMs, etc.
- Modify and update control and data acquisition systems directly and/or through contractors
- Production Support – day to day troubleshooting of equipment, utilities and facilities
- Maintenance Support – provide engineering and technical support to maintenance as required
- Support safety initiatives (PSM, MOC, Contractor Safety, Ergo Team, Electrical Safety, etc.)
- Support Process Engineering efforts to optimize plant operations to improve safety, quality, and productivity while lowering cost.
- Support regional instrumentation / calibration standards
- Develop Regional Engineering Standards
Desired Skills, Experience and Personal Attributes
- Technically competent, detail oriented, and have strong project management skills
- Can build strong working relationships and function effectively at all levels of the organization
- Versatile and a results-oriented leader
- Ability to drive change through instruction and coaching
- Experience leading and/or managing others effectively
- Able to troubleshoot and work hands on as needed
- Strong ability to identify problems, root cause and preventative measures
- Detailed knowledge of chemical processing equipment including pumps, mixers, valves, heat exchangers, boilers, cooling towers, and compressors
- Experience with process instrumentation and automation
- Experience with PLC programming and Data Acquisition Software
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and organizational skills
- Ability to think independently and handle projects through to completion
- Able to concurrently multi-task in a time sensitive environment
- High levels of self-motivation, initiative, and interpersonal skill
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
Education and Experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree is required; chemical or mechanical engineering degree is preferred
- 3 - 5 years in a chemical manufacturing environment is required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Must be able to climb stairs, stand for extended periods of time, and safely lift up to 50lbs
- Must be able to wear required Personal Protective equipment (PPE) for extended periods of time
- Able to travel by car/plane to visit a global base of customers and facilities
- On call 24x7 for emergency issues
- Must be able to accommodate working nights or weekends as the situation dictates
Michelman is proud of the values focused work environment that we have we have crafted. We pride ourselves in our focus on our values of integrity, respect and success. With our dedication to your technical and professional growth in addition to our rigorous onboarding experience, we guarantee you will find yourself challenged in new ways. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a dynamic, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top