Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers
Michelman operates multiple chemical processes and the Advanced Manufacturing Process group focuses to develop and commercialize new processes. You will engage in developing processes, running pilot scale product trials, troubleshooting, and performing repairs.
- Operate pilot units to execute new product development trials as well as conduct routine sample production
- Collaborate in a team of engineers and chemists to develop new products
- Troubleshoot technical issues including both mechanical and controls
- Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Demonstrated mechanical aptitude with an ability to analyze a situation and then make recommended changes.
- Hands on ability to tear down equipment and complete light maintenance including tubing runs and unclogging equipment
- Understand basic controls including tuning of PID loops and troubleshooting electrical and instrumentation issues Comfortable working in a manufacturing environment.
- Understanding of basic chemical principles around emulsification and acid/base reactions.
- Actively engages in the safety culture
- Proficient in the operation of analytical equipment
- Flexibility i.e., able to comfortably and quickly change direction as business needs dictate.
- Willingness to work off shift hours as needed.
- Demonstrated creativity in thought as evidenced in work supported by concrete examples.
- Good written and oral communication skills. Ability document trials and write procedures.
- Must be able to multitask i.e., work on more than one thing at a time without error
- Good people skills and demonstrate a collaborative attitude
Education and Experience
- At least 2 years experience in chemical processing
- An associate degree in chemical technology or controls a plus
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Work may require long periods of standing
- Work will require lifting weights as much as 50 pounds to waist level, short term
- Use of PPE equipment and safety shoes required from as needed
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
We are proud of our unique work environment. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect, success, curiosity, collaboration and giving. We try to live these values each and every day and encourage our team members to do the same. Our environment encourages and embraces the respectful sharing of ideas and different opinions, challenging the "status quo" and taking ownership of solving business challenges. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. No relocation assistance provided for this position. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top