Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
Currently, we have a great opportunity available for a Process Engineer for our emulsion polymerization products to join our Engineering Team. This position will be located in our Blue Ash, Ohio global headquarters and will report directly to the Global Director of Engineering. You will leverage process development experience and understanding of the underlying chemistry to build out the future of Michelman's emulsion polymerization capabilities.
You will be evaluating, planning, and implementing emulsion polymerization projects that support the Michelman Coatings business. This includes developing engineering specifications with in house manufacturing and outside contract manufacturing partners around the globe, working with R&D and Supply Chain to develop and scale-up new products to commercial status, and working with production and Quality Control to improve the consistency, quality or efficiency of new and existing products. This role will also look to leverage this technical expertise to drive appropriate cost-saving initiatives by evaluating existing manufacturing processes.
- Detailed knowledge of chemical processing equipment including pumps, mixers, valves, heat exchangers, boilers, cooling towers, and compressors related to emulsion polymerization
- Knowledge of chemical processes and associated hazards related to emulsion polymerization
- Ability to qualify and manage outside contract manufacturers.
- Strong project management skills and training
- Experience leading and/or managing others effectively
- Ability to perform engineering and financial calculations
- Strong ability to identify problems, root cause and preventative measures
- Experience with business improvement tools such Lean or Six Sigma.
- Able to troubleshoot and work hands on as needed
- Able to handle multiple projects to completion.
Desired Skills, Experience and Personal Attributes
- Strong interpersonal skills including verbal communication and written communication
- Strong attention to detail
- Ability to work in a face paced environment and versatile to changing situations and priorities
- Capable of multi-tasking and managing priorities
- Can effectively communicate to all levels of the organization
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline; chemical engineering preferred
- 5-10 years of experience in a similar role within the emulsion polymerization chemical manufacturing industry
- Experience in designing or site turnaround a plus
- Knowledge and experience within project management
Michelman is proud of the values focused work environment that we have we have crafted. We pride ourselves in our focus on our values of integrity, respect and success. With our dedication to your technical and professional growth in addition to our rigorous onboarding experience, we guarantee you will find yourself challenged in new ways. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a dynamic, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top