Packaging/Tanker Operator- 3rd Shift
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman's water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
The operator is trained so they can safely and efficiently package at any of the plant packaging areas. This position is also responsible for loading/unloading finished good or raw material bulk tankers. The selected candidate will have a strong work ethic, be safety conscious, display strong attention to detail, be adaptable, have good communication skills and be able to work in a team based environment. This position will be on our 3rd shift team, with hours from 11:00-7:30 AM (EST).
The Responsibilities for This Position Will Include
- Communicate with shift Team Leaders and Production Manager regarding safety, production, quality, or any other operational issues.
- Package batches in accordance with all safety, quality, and efficiency standards by following work orders and verbal directions
- Follow procedures to safely and efficiently operate pumps, filtration devices, automated packing stations, forklifts and other equipment related to the packaging of chemicals
- Wear proper Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as mandated in procedures and SDS's
- Perform quality control sampling as prescribed in the work orders.
- Perform required tank level verifications in accordance to plant procedures
- Maintain accurate packaging documentation
- Maintain clean work areas in accordance with plant housekeeping requirements
- Assist in the prevention of quality problems by following cleaning and sanitization procedures
- Correct packaging of finished goods into pails, drums, totes, or bulk tankers as directed by instructions found on work orders
- Perform related duties as assigned or as the situation dictates
The Preferred Candidate Will Have
- Ability to work in a safe and controlled environment
- Willingness to work in a team based environment
- Ability to think independently and handle tasks from initiation to completion
- Proven ability to follow procedures and handle multiple tasks, effecting a positive outcome
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and to react positively to verbal instructions given
- Ability to work overtime and weekends when required
- Desire to work hard and be dependable
- Basic understanding of computers
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Basic math skills
- Basic knowledge of controls equipment including flow meters, level sensors and pressure sensors
- Good troubleshooting skills
- Basic mechanical aptitude
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and to react positively to verbal instructions given by any member of the Production Department
Education and Experience
- Two years of experience in a manufacturing environment
- Forklift operation experience is required
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Climb stairs, stand for extended periods of time, and safely lift up to 55 lbs
- Able to physical maneuver drums up to 600lbs on to and off a pallet
- Drag and stow hoses that can weigh up to 35 lbs
- Frequent bending, lifting and ascending/descending stairs and step ladders
- Constant standing during the shift
- Wear required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for extended periods of time
- Able to operate forklift safely
- Pass agility, drug and physical exam
- Show proficiency in the operation of all necessary equipment
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Michelman does not employ individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
It is Michelman, Inc. policy to seek and employ qualified persons in all jobs in a manner which will ensure equal employment opportunity as well as administer personnel actions in a manner as to not discriminate against any person on the basis of race, religion, national origin, age, sexual orientation or disability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top