Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
The New Technology & Innovation team is searching for a chemical technician to join the Global R&D organization at our Advanced Materials Collaboration Center in Blue Ash, OH. You will have opportunity to work hands-on in a lab setting with research chemists and engineers to turn novel product concepts into workable product prototypes. These prototypes will be used to demonstrate novel functional benefits in applications that support the major growth platforms of Michelman's Coatings, Paper & Packaging, and Industrial Manufacturing businesses. You will be expected to quickly master a wide range of processes for developing, analyzing, and evaluating new materials. Not only will you serve a key role in our innovation process, but you will also be counted on to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing, the details of observations that you make to the rest of the team.
This position could be a fit for you if:
- You pay attention to the details. As far as you're concerned anything worth doing is worth doing right, every single time. You stay focused, and nothing falls through the cracks on your watch.
- You think on your feet. You like learning new things, and you can learn quickly.
- You enjoy solving problems. You love taking on difficult challenges and finding creative solutions. If you don't know the answer, you'll dig until you find it.
- You like helping people. Contributing to a team win is much more important to you than individual accolades.
- You communicate clearly – whether in writing or in a conversation. You're comfortable participating in a technical discussion with your teammates or sometimes with senior managers.
- You live Michelman's Values of Integrity, Respect, Success, Collaboration, Curiosity, and Giving.
In addition to the skills, experiences, and competencies described above, you must also:
- Minimum of an Associate's degree in Chemical Technology or a related field. Bachelor's degree preferred in a scientific discipline other than chemistry or chemical engineering.
- Have two years or more of working in a laboratory or manufacturing environment. Experience in preparing and evaluating formulated materials will be a definite plus.
- Possess strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work as part of a team.
- Be able to stand for long periods of time and/or work an extended schedule from time to time.
- Be able, on occasion, to lift heavy items (e.g. as much as 50 lbs to waist level).
- Wear appropriate personal protective equipment (provided) - including safety shoes at all times.
We are proud of our unique work environment. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect, success, curiosity, collaboration and giving. We try to live these values each and every day and encourage our team members to do the same. Our environment encourages and embraces the respectful sharing of ideas and different opinions, challenging the "status quo" and taking ownership of solving business challenges. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. No relocation assistance provided for this position. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top