Application Technician, Coatings Group
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
The Application Technician will support hands-on Technical Service and Applications Development [TS&D] projects by supporting the development of new waterbased products, and developing new data and starting point formulations for water-based coatings customized to regional customer needs. As a key contributor to the Recklinghausen TS&D team, the Technician will closely support the Coatings Technology team on major projects and Technical Service Requests [TSR’s] to support Coatings Group growth initiatives.
- Conduct hands-on technical support of Coatings projects and TSR’s
- Support corporate quality and safety initiatives as appropriate
- As needed, support customer lab testing, scale-up, and production trials at Michelman manufacturing and customer locations.
- Develop and maintain proficient working knowledge of Michelman’s, and Michelman’s Coatings customers’ product and application technologies.
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience working in industrial lab in results-oriented environment. Experience in design and testing of industrial products. Experience with emulsion polymers and waterborne additives technology preferred.
- Familiarity with, and practical hands-on experience in coating industry test standards/methods highly preferred.
With minimal direction, plan and execute experimental work, interpret data, and deliver results.
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in project team environment.
Proficient in standard business office software
- Fluent in spoken and written English and German.
Education and Experience
- Two-year degree.
- 3+ year’s industry experience in lab environment.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Capable of conducting bench scale experiments and plant trials, including occasional handling of heavy equipment and materials, and working in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience working in a cross-functional [Sales, Technology, marketing] team environment.
- Able to work in chemical laboratory environment where personal protective equipment [PPE] may be required.
- Available to travel regionally and internationally as needed, up to 10% of manageable time.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Resume and cover letter with salary history and requirements can be submitted below.
Michelman is proud of the unique work environment that we have. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect and success. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
No relocation will be provided – no phone calls please.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com.
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top