Application Specialist, Coatings Group
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry. Michelman’s water-based surface modifiers, additives and polymers add value in a wide range of applications including wood care, floor care, industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers, composites, and construction products. As an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, and digital printing press primers, Michelman adds value to consumer and industrial packaging, labels and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its multinational and regional customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia; product development and technical service centers in several major global markets; and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
The Coatings Chemist will lead Technical Service and Applications Development (TS&D) projects by developing new data and starting point formulations for water-based coatings customized to regional customer needs. As a key contributor to a global Technology team, the Coatings Chemist will help promote the Michelman brand in key waterborne market segments, and translate Michelman’s value proposition across Europe [EMEA] and key global markets. The Coatings Chemist will work closely with a strong global Marketing and Technology teams on major Development projects, and with a focused regional sales team to deliver best-in-class Technical Service in the growing markets served by the Coatings Business Group.
Provide “front line” technical service for Coatings customers in Western Europe, and across target sales regions in Europe, The Middle East, and Africa.
Develop new data and starting point formulas to translate Michelman polymer and additive technology to formulator relevance, in order to teach Sales, Marketing, and Michelman customers the value proposition of Michelman waterborne coatings solutions.
In key strategic industry projects, lead Applications development projects to validate the performance advantages of new Michelman product developments with new data and formulation guidelines.
Support product translation and new product development as technical lead on customer-facing teams in Applications development projects, and pilot or commercial trials at customer and partner locations.
Develop and maintain internal and, as appropriate, external relationships to share knowledge, promote Michelman’s technical leadership, process understanding and material performance.
Develop and maintain a strong working knowledge of Michelman’s Coatings products to participate in technical and business discussions, and at externally sponsored events, including but not limited to agent/distributor fairs, industrial association committees, and trade shows.
Work with the Regulatory Affairs Department to learn, understand and properly follow policies and procedures that ensure compliance with regional and international regulatory agencies. Seek and provide information on regulatory requirements to support commercial activities. Actively participate in and lead lab safety initiatives.
Support corporate and Business Group initiatives as key global Technology partner representing the EMEA region.
Required Competencies, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Experience in design and testing of coating or related industrial product formulas [adhesives, inks, sealants], preferably with emulsion polymers and waterborne additives technology.
- Scientific knowledge of waterborne acrylic emulsions, polyurethane dispersions, wax additives, and polyolefin dispersions a plus.
- Candidate must be familiar with, and have practical hands-on experience in running testing equipment and testing standards/methods.
- Hands-on experience formulating coatings or related industrial products.
- Independently plan and execute experimental work, interpret data, and deliver results.
- Experience working with remote global teams.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills in project team environment.
- Proficient in standard business office software.
- Experience in water-based coatings is highly preferred.
- Fluent in spoken and written English and German at business and technical level. Additional language fluency is a plus.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or a Physical science required. Advanced degree highly preferred.
- 5-10 years industry experience in the area of coatings or related industrial products.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
- Capable of conducting bench scale experiments and plant trials, including occasional handling of heavy equipment and materials, and working in a manufacturing environment.
- Experience working in a cross-functional [Sales, Technology, marketing] team environment.
- Able to work in chemical laboratory environment where personal protective equipment [PPE] may be required
- Available to travel regionally and internationally in support of business initiatives, customer visits, and industry events up to 15% of manageable work time.
The statements above are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to the job. They are not construed to be an exhaustive list of responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel in the job. Furthermore, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Resume and cover letter with salary history and requirements can be submitted below.
Michelman is proud of the unique work environment that we have. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect and success. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
No relocation will be provided – no phone calls please.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com.
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top