Application Research Chemist
Michelman is a global developer and manufacturer of environmentally friendly advanced materials for industry, offering solutions for the coatings, printing & packaging and industrial manufacturing markets. The company's surface modifiers, additives and polymers are used by leading manufacturers around the world to enhance performance attributes and add value in applications including wood and floor care products, metal and industrial coatings, paints, varnishes, inks, fibers and composites. Michelman is also well-known as an innovator in the development of barrier and functional coatings, as well as digital printing press primers that are used in the production of consumer and industrial packaging and paper products, labels, and commercially printed materials. Michelman serves its customers with production facilities in North America, Europe and Asia, product development and technical service centers in several major global markets, and a worldwide team of highly trained business development personnel.
The New Technology & Innovation team is searching for an application research chemist to join the Global R&D organization at our Advanced Materials Collaboration Center in Blue Ash, OH. The selected candidate will have the primary responsibility for prototyping both waterborne product concepts and application-relevant formulations comprising them. These prototypes will seek to demonstrate novel functional benefits in applications that support the major growth platforms of Michelman's Coatings, Paper & Packaging, and Industrial Manufacturing businesses. The successful applicant will be expected to quickly screen new technologies and/or materials as possible solutions to address existing or developing market needs and to collaborate with core technology, marketing, and manufacturing teams to translate those concepts into successful product platforms.
The Application Research Chemist will:
- Develop and demonstrate product concepts, using both current and emerging materials and processes, which provide meaningful functionality improvements in targeted coating, ink, and/or composite applications.
- Execute effective experimentation involving generating, formulating, and evaluating waterborne materials.
- Develop an understanding of relationships among product attributes, end-use performance, and fundamental material characteristics to better inform the design of novel solutions for application problems.
- Identify novel technologies (especially external) and translate those into prototypes which demonstrate a "reason to believe" consistent with needs and opportunities identified through customer engagements.
- Demonstrate excellent problem-solving abilities and creativity.
- Collaborate effectively within a highly matrixed global environment.
- You live Michelman's Values of Integrity, Respect, Success, Collaboration, Curiosity, and Giving
The Application Research Chemist must possess and demonstrate the skills, experiences, and competencies to fulfill all elements of the position overview in addition to the following:
- Master's degree (or equivalent experience) in chemistry, chemical engineering, or related field
- At least five years of experience developing waterborne products for coating, ink, and/or adhesive applications (experience in polymer synthesis considered a plus)
- Track record of innovation, technology scouting, and product prototyping is highly desirable
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal)
- Role may require long periods of standing and/or an extended work schedule, from time to time.
- Role may require heavy lifting from time to time (as much as 50 lbs to waist level)
- Role will demand appropriate use of PPE - including safety shoes
We are proud of our unique work environment. We pride ourselves in our commitment to our values of integrity, respect, success, curiosity, collaboration and giving. We try to live these values each and every day and encourage our team members to do the same. Our environment encourages and embraces the respectful sharing of ideas and different opinions, challenging the "status quo" and taking ownership of solving business challenges. Selected candidate will have a rigorous onboarding experience with a continued commitment to technical and professional development. We offer an excellent salary, incentive and benefits package in a progressive, empowered team environment.
No phone calls please. Michelman does not hire individuals who use tobacco products. All candidates will receive a drug test prior to beginning employment which will include a test for tobacco products.
For more information about Michelman, please visit www.michelman.com
Michelman is an Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
Meet Some of Michelman's Employees
Quality Assurance Engineer, Quality Department
Kyle works on process optimization for Michelman’s emulsified chemistries, from polypropylene legacy products for the composite industry to engineered wood release technologies.
Back to top