THE PEOPLE AGAINST DIRTY STORY
method sold its first product on February 28th, 2001 - we mark this as the day we became people against dirty®. But why did two twenty-something guys start a cleaning product company? Well, we're not exactly big fans of cleaning, but we are passionate about cleaning up a dirty business. We recognized that household cleaning, which includes laundry and hand wash, was a massive category in desperate need of a little disruption.
We also had questions. Why do we pollute when we clean? Why do we use poison to make our homes healthier? And why do cleaners have to be so ugly that you hide them away or smell so bad that you hold your breath? The answer: we can do better.
Leveraging two major cultural shifts in health + wellness and life styling of the home, we disrupted every aspect of the category and grew method into a green cleaning leader. Along the way, we hit #7 on the Inc. 500 list, were named the #16th most innovative company in the world by Fast Company in 2008 and became PETA persons of the year for developing the first vegan laundry products.
method products can be found in Target, Lowe's, Safeway, Whole Foods and most grocers nationwide, along with growing distribution in the UK, France, China, Japan and Australia. And the party is only getting started.
In 2012, method merged with Belgian green cleaning giant Ecover, and together became the world's largest green cleaning company. Our two brands are committed to inspiring generations of happy, healthy homes by making non-toxic products that work—for you and the planet. And we've built a LEED-Platinum certified manufacturing plant to prove it, the first of its kind in our industry. We even formalized the name of our joint enterprise: People Against Dirty (PAD) Manufacturing. Of course, this is more than a company name, it is one of our founding principles. By pioneering a cleaner clean, we believe we can make a difference.
That's why our work environment is creative, brand-savvy, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, solutions-focused, irreverent but disciplined, team-oriented and fun. Piqued your curiosity? Keep reading.
The Senior Accountant is a full-time position based in San Francisco and reports to the Assistant Controller. This individual will play a very important role in the accurate and timely entry of financial data and reporting to management. (S)he must possess great attention to detail, strong financial acumen, high aptitude for technology and financial systems and a strong desire and ability to work within a dynamic environment.
The Senior Accountant will have a broad range of responsibilities involving all aspects of the monthly close, GL responsibilities, fulfilling the external reporting requirements of government agencies and developing process efficiencies.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
MONTH END CLOSE PROCESS
- Lead various parts of the month end close process and communicate with other departments to ensure all information requirements and reporting deadlines are met
- Prepare, review, upload and post journal entries (pre-paid, accruals, payroll, deferred rent, intercompany, etc.)
- Perform variance analysis for management - gather and consolidate/assist with other fluxes (Revenue and Inventory managers) and identify action steps in response to key variances for SG&A accounts that are under area of responsibility
- Work cross-functionally with various departments to provide financial insights and relevant reporting
- Lead and perform monthly balance sheet reconciliation analysis to ensure all asset and liability accounts are complete
- Identify, recommend and implement process improvement to increase efficiency and accuracy of monthly, quarterly and annual reporting
- Be the owner and master of the management reporting tool, Host Analytics
- Prepare financial reports for management (Host Analytics management report, high level management report with variance explanations, etc)
- Develop and create management and external reports in Host Analytics for local entities (bank covenant reporting, management reporting including Chicago Plant, etc)
- Cross-train with Assistant Controller on global reporting package (Tagetik)
- Directly responsible for maintaining, reporting and improving all aspects of the payroll accounting process
- Manage changes in process, intercompany charges and benefits to ensure compliance with GAAP
- Partner with payroll specialist in identifying areas of financial risk and variance analysis
- Perform payroll reconciliations to all 3rd party provider statements
EXTERNAL REPORTING & FILINGS
- Complete and submit external filings in accordance with New Markets Tax Credits program
- Assist in annual and off-cycle audit preparations of GAAP financial statements including note disclosure, consolidated balance sheet, consolidated income statement and statement of cash flows. Assist in preparing needed reports, reconciliations and back up for the external auditors
- Conduct special research and projects for the G/L as required
- Conduct GAAP research on technical accounting issues and recommend appropriate accounting treatment
- Receive Purchase Orders of non-stock inventory and ensure appropriate coding in accordance with GAAP Financial Framework
- Maintain chart of accounts, including adding and inactivating accounts, as needed
- Work with FP&A on the budget and updating forecasts
- Assist in implementation of new systems such as SAP, etc.
- Ad hoc reporting and assistance with projects, as requested
- Work reception once a month*
*we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
The ideal candidate is enthusiastic and results-oriented; someone who takes ownership of his/her responsibilities within the general ledger function. (S)he will have a driving desire to get the details right and an awareness of how the details impact the bigger picture. Last but not least, (s)he will have a positive attitude and enjoy working in a fast-paced collaborative environment.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting required
- A minimum of 5 years experience in general ledger accounting (preferably, consumer products manufacturing or similar environment_). _A combination of public accounting and industry experience is also preferred
- Public accounting experience (big 4 experience strongly desired)
- CPA strongly desired
- Experience working in a fully-integrated MRP/ERP/GL system
- Strong Excel skills required
- Demonstrated ability to succeed in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial business
- Professional and clear communication skills (by phone and in-person)
- Willingness and flexibility to vary hours and efforts according to deadlines
- Very well-organized with a strong attention to detail
- Good sense of humor!
Meet Some of Method's Employees
Arts & Craft Designer
Mia creates the engaging marketing campaigns, artistic product packaging, and colorful designs that define Method's brand, spreading the company's healthy cleaning message in a fun way.
Back to top