Industrial Design Director
We are people against dirty® (PAD), and we've always done things differently. We are fearless thinkers, mad scientists and adventurous designers who believe that making soap leads to brave ideas, bold inventions and beautiful bubbles.
We are small, but we have big plans to make the world a cleaner, greener, more colorful place. And we invite everyone to join us as we pioneer a future where doing business is doing good for all.
Director of Industrial Design is responsible for concept creation, industrial design and development for all business pods (hand, laundry + cleaning) at method. This role will work closely with the each of the General Managers of the pods to ensure a robust and innovative product pipeline; as well as liaise with Packaging Engineers, NPD, Greenskeeping, Legal, Marketing, Quality and Ops to ensure the highest level of design quality and consumer experience. The goal of this position is to provide design and innovation leadership for the North American business and International markets, as needed. By providing beautiful design and keen thinking, the Director of Industrial Design holds a unique position at method as a trusted strategic resource.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Industrial Design - direct the Industrial Design process within method
- Help create and drive product strategy
- Uncover and instill consumer insight as it relates to product
- Concept creation and consensus building
- Design evaluation and selection
- Refinement, design specification and handover
Innovation - pursue and catalyze innovation and innovative thinking within method
- Scout for new ideas and possibilities
- Meet and discuss new ideas with vendors, pod teams, and functional groups
- Work cross functionally to influence product strategy within method to deliver on our corporate obsessions
- Be an active promoter of and participant in method's unique culture as it relates to design thinking, collaboration and transparency
- Work reception once a month*
- we are not joking. at people against dirty, everyone in the San Francisco office takes a spin as receptionist. costumes welcome.
QUALIFICATIONS + EXPERIENCE
The Industrial Design Director will use art to drive commerce. method stands for design, healthy chemistry and fun, but it also stands for innovation, surprise and curiosity. He/she will demonstrate the following:
- 8-12 years of industrial design experience, with at least 5 years of experience directing design projects at a consumer packaged goods company or design firm
- An extraordinary eye for detail and aesthetics that is evident in their work
- Experience working with cross-functional teams, both technical and creative
- Strong project management and organizational skills
- Proven ability to influence within an organization
- Ability to stay cool and calm under pressure in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to stay focused on the "big picture"
- Proficient in Solidworks or similar 3D package
Candidates for this position are likely to be degree-qualified in more than one discipline, for example; Design + Marketing, Design + Engineering. They are comfortable working in highly motivated, energetic environments + will be just as happy discussing product strategy with the founders (whilst wearing a costume) as they will be discussing parison programming with the engineers.
Our values are at the heart of everything we do. Here are a few of the ways we Care like a Mother for every person against dirty:
- Rockstar health insurance benefits package
- Competitive vacation bundle + 3 Care Days (a.k.a. Volunteer Time-Off) a year
- Generous retirement match + pre-tax savings options
- Global Ping Pong Tournament + Prom...you heard that right!
LOCATION: San Francisco
HOURS: Full Time, Exempt (salaried)
REPORTS TO: Sr. Dir. – Packaging & Industrial Design
Meet Some of Method's Employees
Geetha monitors Method’s production operations and performs lab testing on its products. She creates specially formulated, non-toxic people and pet-friendly cleaning products that fight dirty the healthy way.
Back to top